Just a few of mine.

The Men from Earth by Buzz Aldrin. How man got to the moon, straight from the
horses mouth. Includes his brilliantly romantic description of floating free in
space. The human spirit captured for your astonishment.

 The Executioners Song by Norman Mailer. True story of the life and death of
Gary Gilmore, drop-out turned murderer who took the state of Utah to court to
have himself executed. Epic comment on crime and punishment.

 A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. Story of a boy who sticks with his
best friend even though he accidentally kills his mother. It's a strangely
religious tale of redemption and martyrdom. Irving should have quit after this
one...

 Precious Bane by Mary Webb. Victorian love story about a girl born disfigured,
but who finds true love when her poems move the right soul. Fabulously well
written and evokes the English countryside beautifully, but also the nasty
superstitions of village life. You'll cry at the end.

 Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut. Yeah, it's on everyone's "best books ever"
list, but for a reason. The most savagely ironic story ever told. Just how
stupid is mankind?

 The Death Guard by Philip Chadwick. Highly disturbing tale about genetic
engineering written before WW2 and banned from publication by a government
concerned that its bleak message might counter their own propaganda. It was
finally released in 1989 and concerns an attempt by a veteran of the Western
front to reduce human death in war by creating an army of purpose built
monsters to do the fighting for us. Do I need to tell you that it all goes
horribly wrong?

 Voyage of the Beagle by Charles Darwin. Rip-roaring boys adventure tale about
a biologist who gets a job on a ship sent to map the south coast of America.
Along the way he finds fossils of giant creatures that don't exist anymore, sea
shells on top of mountains and a chain of islands where the local finches seem
designed to have different beaks to feed on the different foods present. It all
makes him wonder. Darwin wasn't aware of where it would lead at the time, but
anyone with even the remotest knowledge about science can see one the greatest
ideas that anyone ever had unfolding before their eyes.

 London Fields by Martin Amis. Dark tale about a dying writer who has a chance
encounter with a girl who's planning her own murder and decides to write a book
about it, but which of the local characters that she plays off against each
other has she chosen for the deed? Can he work it out before he dies and the
world ends? File under post-modern nightmare.

 Helliconia by Brian Aldiss. A splendid scientific romance by one of our most
dependable sci-fi writers. Tells the tale of a world with such a long and
elliptical orbit it's seasons last for generations and are so intense the
inhabitants actually evolve into almost separate life forms. Little do they
know, life on their planet is watched from Earth by a manned satellite. It's a
genuine classic and so much better than it sounds with brilliant characters and
a perfectly realised society.

 The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham. Anything by him actually but this is
really good stuff. A village in England loses it's memory for two days. It
transpires that every woman in town got pregnant during that time. The children
are very odd indeed.

 War of the Worlds by HG Wells. God I love old sci-fi and this is the best.
What an imagination, the battle scenes of cannon and riflemen on horseback
fighting giant tripod creatures from outer space must have shocked the
Victorian world utterly rigid. And one of the best opening chapters in
publishing history.

 Jonathan Livingstone Seagull by Richard Bach. Worst book I ever read. So
offensively new age and banal I actually wanted to track the author down and
give him the kicking he so richly deserves.

 Moby Dick by Herman Melville. No really, try it. It's brilliant and can be
read in so many ways. Most people get hung up about the metaphors inherent in
captain Ahab and his impossible fight against nature - a fight mankind cannot
win. But it's also a fascinating history of the mindless slaughter that helped
make our civilisation so wealthy. A spectral colossus haunts the inflated myth
of progress, as the poet said. Even at the time people thought whaling was too
unpleasant for words and were happy that it took place out at sea with the
bounty coming ashore in barrels so they didn't have to think about it.

 I could go on and on....

 I particularly liked:

 Robin Williams
 “Oh my god, Isaac Asimov’s Foundation trilogy. It’s one of the greatest books
of all time, and the greatest character is The Mule.”

 50 Cultural Icons on Their Favorite Books
http://flavorwire.com/480819/50-cultural-icons-on-their-favorite-books

 http://flavorwire.com/480819/50-cultural-icons-on-their-favorite-books

 50 Cultural Icons on Their Favorite Books
http://flavorwire.com/480819/50-cultural-icons-on-their-favorite-books
Everybody loves a good book. Yes, everybody -- even the rich, famous and
culturally relevant. And since there's nothing better than a book
recommendation from some...

 View on flavorwire.com
http://flavorwire.com/480819/50-cultural-icons-on-their-favorite-books
 Preview by Yahoo