Share, your comparison to watching movies is a good one, except that we are
each watching a different movie, that none of the others have seen. So there is
plenty of description and evidence, but it is largely meaningless to convey, as
no one else has seen our movie. Glad you got an 'A' on the paper, but I'll give
you a 'D', (for 'doesn't work'), on your comparison.:-) The statement about the
aspirin borders on feeble.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <curtisdeltablues@...> wrote :

I guess what I'm getting to is that basically we gotta get peaceful about not
knowing anything for sure. Lately it's what works for me.

M: I couldn't agree more. We do the best we can with what we got. Excellent
post.

 Curtis, my grad Film prof at Univ of Maryland said the same thing to a Film
criticism class: that we could say anything about the film we were discussing,
as long as we could back it up with evidence from the film itself.  I love that
kind of exercise, got an A on my paper about Peter Weir's Witness!

 I've found that proof and evidence are funny, slippery things. Just to keep it
simple, if I have a headache and take an aspirin and the headache stops, was it
really the aspirin that worked? Or was it the fact that the atmospheric
pressure subsided? Or that I drank some water? Maybe I breathed a little more
deeply? Or did the aspirin taking have a placebo effect?

 Since we can never have 100% certainty about cause and effect, I guess we all
like to get as close to 100% as possible. Makes us feel safe. So we use all
sorts of stuff for evidence besides our own experience. What people we trust
tell us for example.

 On Sunday, October 19, 2014 9:19 AM, "curtisdeltablues@... [FairfieldLife]"