--In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <jr_esq@...> wrote :

 Or, that you're pulling a Curtis on us.

M: It has not gone unnoticed that these little snipes are in place of your
actually refuting what I wrote reasonably. It was you who proposed that the
silly syllogism was a proof for God that would silence Barry in the first place.

Here is the problem. It turns out that you don't understand the basics of what
a syllogism does in philosophy, so you can't follow the argument showing what
the problem with it is.
Philosophy is one of those weird fields where people think they can just jump
in and do it with no training in it. If you don't understand how these tools
are used, or the history of their use and subsequent corrections in
philosophical history, you make the obvious error of mistaking something being
logical with there being a higher probability that it is true. In our daily
lives we conflate these two concepts all the time. But in philosophy the are
technical terms for specific things and they are only tangentially related.

If you want to use a formal syllogism to bolster up an unfounded assertion, you
really need to adhere to how philosophy operates and you might want to crack a
book and actually study the necessary fundamentals to discuss it beyond the
trollish snipe level.

Or fly your freak flag high and admit that you have a belief that has nothing
to do with all this faux philosophy presentation, you just believe it for your
own reasons that satisfy you. You don't have to try to dress it up as something
it is not: a logical conclusion from an irrefutable premise. Just stop the
philosophical front'n routine and enjoy your personal beliefs for what they
are, your personal beliefs.

The Kalam argument is a favorite of people who are God believers talking to a
non philosophically trained audience. It is the intellectual equivalent of an
actor in a TV commercial donning a white coat with a stethoscope around his
neck for the appearance of credibility and declaring that 3 out of 4 doctors
surveyed prefer X brand hemorrhoid cream. It's just buttastic!

 Xeno,

 Are you saying that the human mind would not be able to fathom the meaning of
"begins to exist"?  If that is so, how is it possible for you to begin and end
a project at work or at home?

 But we know that NASA has been able to send the Curiosity rover to Mars which
is a very high technological feat.  So,  it appears that humans know can
understand the meaning of "begins to exist".  If not, NASA would not have been
able to send the rover to Mars.

 I believe you're avoiding the question by claiming that you don't know what
statement 1 of the KCA means.  In other words, you're being disingenuous.  Or,
that you're pulling a Curtis on us.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <anartaxius@...> wrote :

 x exists x does not exist

 I do not know what the phrase 'begins to exist' means, especially in regard to
the universe as a whole. If x were an auto-mobile, perhaps one could say that
when it was partially assembled, it began to exist, but all the components of
that were manufactured prior to that and merely gathered together with welds,
bolts, and glue. And those parts had precursors, ad infinitum (almost) to the
beginning of the universe, before which we have no knowledge, and in fact we
have only induction as to regard the early universe. And induction is logically
invalid.

 The link I gave in the previous post did do some analysis why the Kalam
argument is flawed, apparently you did not read it. Here it is again:
Cosmological Kalamity
http://infidels.org/library/modern/dan_barker/kalamity.html

 Cosmological Kalamity
http://infidels.org/library/modern/dan_barker/kalamity.html Home » Library »
everything, who made God?" my daughter Kristi asked me, when she was five years
old.

 View on infidels.org
http://infidels.org/library/modern/dan_barker/kalamity.html
 Preview by Yahoo

 I do not know how the universe began.
 I do not know what 'begins to exist' means in this context, can you fill in
some detail?
 If this were science, all I would have to do is wait for your demonstration of
the truth of the argument, but as it seems no one knows, I doubt this would be
forthcoming. As Curtis pointed out, proving a negative is impossible. It is a
time waster. In science one simply ignores those who do not show up with
evidence for their claims and thus science ('to know' is the meaning of the
word) only works with people who actively produce results.

 For all I know the Kalam argument might be accidentally true, but essentially
I just find it unconvincing. If god is un-caused, then god did not begin to
exist, and if god did not begin to exist, he cannot exist. The word everything
would seem to include what is called god, other wise, the first sentence
includes a false concept. We would have not 'everything that begins to exist
has a cause', and then we would have a number of possible things that were
un-caused. For example, Zeus, the king of the gods, a step higher in divinity
than the other gods, of which perhaps your god is one of those lesser ones.

 I can say on the basis of experience, that the universe was re-created this
morning when I woke up. It was recreated again this morning and this evening
when I came out of meditation after a timeless spell (I am not saying what sort
of meditation was happening or not). I am un-caused, and therefore I must not
be beginning to exist, and therefore I am not the universe, but seeing the
universe seemed to emerge from what I am, I must be a creator of some sort. So
if this happens with me, what am I? I must be more than a human form and mind,
being able to contain all this.

 Since in my own estimation, I seem to have created the universe, where does
that leave your argument? If the universe has a cause, how do you determine
what that cause is or is not? Simply stating that the universe has a cause does
not reveal the nature of the cause. It could be a quantum fluctuation in a
multi-verse continuum. With multi-verses, maybe some have gods, and some do
not. Maybe some are created by farts in a hyper-cosmic digestive system.

 You have also not mentioned the argument that the universe has no cause.
Suppose we say, that in spite of all appearances, the universe has no cause at
all. It was a spontaneous event that had no priors; that would mean that all
the stuff in the universe ultimately had no cause either, the stuff within
would have prior events but ultimately could not be traced back to a primal
cause. Accidental existence. Perhaps we are all part of an unwanted pregnancy.

 Curtis is actually much better at this kind of reasoning than I am. I think he
just wanted you to provide a positive example of the stipulation you made,
something he could work with. A philosopher needs an argument, and needs to be
able to state the other person's position accurately so they can look for a
weakness in definition of terms and logic. You need to provide that. Otherwise
you are not worth his time. He might as well waste his time with a
Bible-thumping preacher from Hicksville. His time would be better spent
teaching kids critical thinking. I can tell you when I was young in school,
this is a skill that was not taught. America is a nation of idiots and climbing
out of that pit of un-reason is no easy task. To be fair, had I ever remained
in Greece, I doubt I would have fared better, though there are more
opportunities for causes way back at the beginning of our place in the scheme
of things:

 Greek gods prepare for comeback
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/may/05/greece

 http://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/may/05/greece

 Greek gods prepare for comeback
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/may/05/greece It has taken almost 2,000
years, but those who worship the 12 gods of ancient Greece have finally
triumphed. An Athens court has ordered that the adulation of...

 View on www.theguardian.com http://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/may/05/greece
 Preview by Yahoo

 Xeno,

 I have asked Curtis about his support or evidence for disagreeing with the
statements in the Kalam Cosmological Argument.  But he just gave me a lot of
song and dance about his opinions without providing the evidence for his
arguments.  Can you give us a solid argument with evidence and support why the
statements in the KCA have a flaw?

 Let's take the KCA which states:

 Everything that begins to exist has a cause; The universe began to exist;
Therefore: The universe has a cause. Do you agree with statement 1 or not?  If
not, please give us your reasons for disagreeing.

        • Re... curtisdeltabl...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
        • Re... curtisdeltabl...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
        • Re... curtisdeltabl...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
        • Re... jr_...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]