Xeno,

 After a long introduction to your reasoning, you state that:  "I tend to
prefer 'everything that exists has no cause'. Everything is just there. That is
my position."

 IMO, you're statement is the same as saying "everything that begins to exist
has no cause".  But, in either case, your statement becomes problematic.
Essentially, you're saying that you came into existence in this world without
the involvement of your mother and father.  That is contrary to the natural way
human beings are born.  How is that possible?

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <anartaxius@...> wrote :

 I don't know what it means, explain it to me, as you seem to know what it
means. That NASA sent Curiosity to Mars is not logically connected to your
statement that 'it appears that humans know can understand the meaning of
"begins to exist". You may have connected it in your mind, but not in the post.

 In the link I provided, there are some criticisms of the Kalam argument, but
you have still not read them apparently.

 For me some things exist. Other things do not. 'Begins to exist' seems
redundant. How does that work? What are the steps between non-existence and
existence? I have no clue. I suspect you do not either, but I am willing to
hear you out on this. You need to explain your position.

 My position is this:

 There is an essential value of existence. All things that exist have this
essential value. We can say there are things that do not exist but this is
meaningless as the essential value of existence is missing and therefore there
are no such things. We cannot know of them because they are not.

 Curiosity exists and is on Mars. It exists because someone had a thought, and
then manipulated the extant universe to correspond to the thought. Where did
the thought come from? It appeared in someone's brain, how did it arise? There
was (we assume) prior activity in the person's brain before the thought arose.
Was it just a refashioning of previous neural events, or a spontaneous outlier
from out of nowhere? Everything Curiosity is made of was fashioned from
previously existing matter, already part of the currently extant universe.
Basically it is a sophisticated auto-mobile, but all its parts previously
existed in another form so can we really say it came into being, when its
components already had being?

 The argument you seem to be proposing does not involve refashioning, so that
was not a good analogy. You need to explain your argument to me. What
specifically does 'begins to exist' mean in your context?

 What is the difference in saying 'everything that exists has a cause' compared
to 'everything that begins to exist has a cause'? I tend to prefer 'everything
that exists has no cause'. Everything is just there. That is my position. I am
not sure you have a position, other than you want people to accept the Kalam
argument.

 Xeno,

 Are you saying that the human mind would not be able to fathom the meaning of
"begins to exist"?  If that is so, how is it possible for you to begin and end
a project at work or at home?

 But we know that NASA has been able to send the Curiosity rover to Mars which
is a very high technological feat.  So,  it appears that humans know can
understand the meaning of "begins to exist".  If not, NASA would not have been
able to send the rover to Mars.

 I believe you're avoiding the question by claiming that you don't know what
statement 1 of the KCA means.  In other words, you're being disingenuous.  Or,
that you're pulling a Curtis on us.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <anartaxius@...> wrote :

 x exists x does not exist

 I do not know what the phrase 'begins to exist' means, especially in regard to
the universe as a whole. If x were an auto-mobile, perhaps one could say that
when it was partially assembled, it began to exist, but all the components of
that were manufactured prior to that and merely gathered together with welds,
bolts, and glue. And those parts had precursors, ad infinitum (almost) to the
beginning of the universe, before which we have no knowledge, and in fact we
have only induction as to regard the early universe. And induction is logically
invalid.

 The link I gave in the previous post did do some analysis why the Kalam
argument is flawed, apparently you did not read it. Here it is again:
Cosmological Kalamity
http://infidels.org/library/modern/dan_barker/kalamity.html

 Cosmological Kalamity
http://infidels.org/library/modern/dan_barker/kalamity.html Home » Library »
everything, who made God?" my daughter Kristi asked me, when she was five years
old.

 View on infidels.org
http://infidels.org/library/modern/dan_barker/kalamity.html
 Preview by Yahoo

 I do not know how the universe began.
 I do not know what 'begins to exist' means in this context, can you fill in
some detail?
 If this were science, all I would have to do is wait for your demonstration of
the truth of the argument, but as it seems no one knows, I doubt this would be
forthcoming. As Curtis pointed out, proving a negative is impossible. It is a
time waster. In science one simply ignores those who do not show up with
evidence for their claims and thus science ('to know' is the meaning of the
word) only works with people who actively produce results.

 For all I know the Kalam argument might be accidentally true, but essentially
I just find it unconvincing. If god is un-caused, then god did not begin to
exist, and if god did not begin to exist, he cannot exist. The word everything
would seem to include what is called god, other wise, the first sentence
includes a false concept. We would have not 'everything that begins to exist
has a cause', and then we would have a number of possible things that were
un-caused. For example, Zeus, the king of the gods, a step higher in divinity
than the other gods, of which perhaps your god is one of those lesser ones.

 I can say on the basis of experience, that the universe was re-created this
morning when I woke up. It was recreated again this morning and this evening
when I came out of meditation after a timeless spell (I am not saying what sort
of meditation was happening or not). I am un-caused, and therefore I must not
be beginning to exist, and therefore I am not the universe, but seeing the
universe seemed to emerge from what I am, I must be a creator of some sort. So
if this happens with me, what am I? I must be more than a human form and mind,
being able to contain all this.

 Since in my own estimation, I seem to have created the universe, where does
that leave your argument? If the universe has a cause, how do you determine
what that cause is or is not? Simply stating that the universe has a cause does
not reveal the nature of the cause. It could be a quantum fluctuation in a
multi-verse continuum. With multi-verses, maybe some have gods, and some do
not. Maybe some are created by farts in a hyper-cosmic digestive system.

 You have also not mentioned the argument that the universe has no cause.
Suppose we say, that in spite of all appearances, the universe has no cause at
all. It was a spontaneous event that had no priors; that would mean that all
the stuff in the universe ultimately had no cause either, the stuff within
would have prior events but ultimately could not be traced back to a primal
cause. Accidental existence. Perhaps we are all part of an unwanted pregnancy.

 Curtis is actually much better at this kind of reasoning than I am. I think he
just wanted you to provide a positive example of the stipulation you made,
something he could work with. A philosopher needs an argument, and needs to be
able to state the other person's position accurately so they can look for a
weakness in definition of terms and logic. You need to provide that. Otherwise
you are not worth his time. He might as well waste his time with a
Bible-thumping preacher from Hicksville. His time would be better spent
teaching kids critical thinking. I can tell you when I was young in school,
this is a skill that was not taught. America is a nation of idiots and climbing
out of that pit of un-reason is no easy task. To be fair, had I ever remained
in Greece, I doubt I would have fared better, though there are more
opportunities for causes way back at the beginning of our place in the scheme
of things:

 Greek gods prepare for comeback
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/may/05/greece

 http://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/may/05/greece

 Greek gods prepare for comeback
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/may/05/greece It has taken almost 2,000
years, but those who worship the 12 gods of ancient Greece have finally
triumphed. An Athens court has ordered that the adulation of...

 View on www.theguardian.com http://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/may/05/greece
 Preview by Yahoo

 Xeno,

 I have asked Curtis about his support or evidence for disagreeing with the
statements in the Kalam Cosmological Argument.  But he just gave me a lot of
song and dance about his opinions without providing the evidence for his
arguments.  Can you give us a solid argument with evidence and support why the
statements in the KCA have a flaw?

 Let's take the KCA which states:

 Everything that begins to exist has a cause; The universe began to exist;
Therefore: The universe has a cause. Do you agree with statement 1 or not?  If
not, please give us your reasons for disagreeing.

      • [Fairf... curtisdeltabl...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
  • [FairfieldLife]... anartax...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
    • [Fairfield... Duveyoung
    • [Fairfield... jr_...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]