 From: "curtisdeltablues@... [FairfieldLife]" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
 To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:01 PM
 Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: Belief in God is a form of mental illness

 Curtis, I just had a lunch of veggies and salmon so maybe my brain is a little
more up to respond. Maybe! Definitely not as good as Sam Harris (-:

 Anyway, my questions are:

 1. how do we know that we know? Which is kind of abstract and probably just me
reliving a past life as a haetera!

M: We all run a system for this consciously or unconsciously. Whatever it is we
share a common human tendency to believe that our system is a better one than
it actually is.

 2. what do we mean by knowing?
 Ok, we see a tree fall so we think we know that it fell. Of course, perception
could be faulty.

M: This is too abstract if we remove it from the context. Epistemology or the
system to evaluate how we can be confident about our knowledge is context
dependent. Good thinking skills are different when dealing with material things
or more abstract things but they can exist in each area in more or less degrees.

 S: Or, to go into the arts as you suggested, we listen to a song about first
love, and from our own memories of that, we recognize the "truth" of the song.

M: I think for many arts we do this and deduce the authenticity of the lyrics
from matching it to our experience. That is why so many lyrics are formulated
out of a the hypnosis language or poetry playbook so more people can relate to
them. Some lyrics are purposely individual so that you take a ride into the
story. It can still feel true or false to us but we give more leeway to the
story lyrics. It has to be consistent for the created character. Here are
example from my songs:

Abstract
The river of missing you , it flows a long long way
It starts the day you left me, wont end till judgement day

And:

Story:
Eating hash browns in a diner under a broken neon sign,
waitress tries to turn my table, but I just take my time
She wont refill my coffee so my cup is gett'n cold
Catch my reflection in the window, I sure am looking old

And combining both:
Well worn at he edges, kinda torn at the seams,
try'n to find our way together, where did we lose our dreams
She left her head shape in her pillow, blankets falling off the bed,
My mind can't stop repeating the last words that she said.

All three are my attempts to either express feelings I have had authentically
or characters that are genuine enough that you might recognize yourself or
someone you know in the story. You add the details from your own life and if I
have succeeded you say: I know that guy, or I AM that person. The first offers
the least conflicting details so filling in the details is all on you. The
second is probably not you, but if I have made the character compelling you
wonder what comes next. Is he going to stiff her on the tip or give her an
inappropriately big one? What kind of guy is this, we don't know yet.

The third is a dance between you filling in your own details in parts and being
able to be separate from it all to see another person's life as a fly on the
wall. Some of the words might connect with your personal experience. Have you
had a relationship that was "well worn at the edges, kind of torn at the
seams?" So you might buy into the story on a more personal level until it goes
in a direction you can't relate to personally.

It is all a work in progress, songwriting is very hard given our exposure to
fabulous songwriters who are geniuses at this. I am going as far as I can with
what I have to work with.

 But here's my really favorite question,

 3. Back to your post: what is meant by "worthwhile reality"?
 Are there some realities that are not worthwhile?

M: I was using that as an evaluation of what we pay attention to. I believe
there is a LOT of reality that is not worth focusing on and that is up to us. I
also believe that society is judging the value of the humanities and the arts
badly these days and not paying attention to some worthwhile realities. It is
undervaluing the importance of how human's communicate through stories: visual,
linguistic and sensory-moter. We are forgetting how we evolved the brain we
have through multi-sensory manipulatives and are making some really unwise
decisions in education because of it.

Now that I have clarified what I meant would you care to share (pun intended)
your perspective? Thanks for the invitation to express!