 This is a lot of airy talk, though telling. My concern after having read it,
is, I feel it was written by someone who takes less than complete
responsibility for their life, and their personal thoughts and actions. Taking
this line, of the strong possibility of random action, so seriously, as you do,
would make it a very convenient excuse to use, whenever things have not gone
according to your liking, in your life - The "who knew?!" excuse.

In this thread I have not mentioned random action, you have added that in
(perhaps from other threads in which I mentioned it, as in quantum mechanics
there is a certain percentage of randomness in particle events). As for
responsibility, I live my life, I have thoughts but I do not normally have
thoughts about my thoughts or thoughts of responsibility, though I have
definite responsibilities and I do have to act to keep things from falling
apart. I am not even sure what taking responsibility for my life means — you
are enlightened, you must experience how automatically life runs on, and adding
a conceptual layer trying to re-impose egoistic control over an autonomous
process seems incredibly redundant and unnecessary.

 I unpacked a radiant heater last night, and it failed to work out of the box.
I am going to take it back to the store where I bought it. Now, if I take
responsibility for my life, should I do something different? I have taxes to
pay this month and business personal property inventory forms to turn in this
month. If I take responsibility for my life should I do something different
than pay the taxes and turn in the inventory forms to the local city
government? I have a client for which I do certain things, should I do
something different than showing up on time and doing those things on those
days I have contracted with the client in order to be taking more
responsibility for my life? I also am working today. This particular post sat
on my screen in the background for some 6 hours until I could finish off a
couple of sentences because I was working on a publication. I am responding to
you but I have no responsibility to do so.

 This thread, or rather this portion of this thread is about the beginning
portion Kalam argument which is an airy argument about ultimate beginnings.
What do you think of the argument? I do not think it solves the problem it
intends to solve, it is a stand-in for facts not in evidence. It could also be
an stand-in for facts in evidence but whose interpretation is open to question,
e.g., cosmic microwave background radiation which is currently explained by big
bang theories, multiverse theories but for which solid proof and a clear
understanding of the known facts is really lacking. And finally why do you have
'concern' that it was written by someone with x, y, and z characteristics (x,
y, and z are variables standing in for your comments)? We have concerns when
something does not fit into our world view the way we would like, otherwise why
would a concern arise? Everything went fine today, except for that heater.

 =============================
---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <anartaxius@...> wrote :

 You seem to be just trolling. Do you practice TM? I was  talking about things
that spiritual practices advertise they can bring into one's awareness. These
things are private, you cannot prove you have these kinds of experiences. My
body has a mother and father, my awareness does not, the essential value of my
existence does not. That really is not important since it is true for everyone
(except Barry, every rule has an exception. In the handbook of universe
fabrication it states on line 203,409,000 subheading B that there must be one
individual in any given universe for which truth is a non entity)

 As for statement 1 of the Kalam argument, I would say it is indeterminate that
it is true or not. What is the evidence that it is true?

 1. Everything that begins to exist has a cause

 a. How has it been established that this is true?
 b. How is this statement different from 'everything that exists has a cause'?

 That word, 'begins' is the setup to introduce a concept like god, because
believers think of god as an uncaused intelligence that causes other things to
'begin to exist' although how that is accomplished is beyond me. It is a failed
attempt to get around the problem of infinite regression of causes so the
uncaused cause idea seems more respectable, which it is not. However in the
statement below, we have Fred, an uncaused cause who was the cause of the
beginning of the existence of god.

 1. Fred, who never began (i.e., Fred is eternal), was the cause of the
beginning of existence of god.

 How do you prove it is not true? (By the way the Epistles of Fred are the
source of this knowledge, which was revealed to mankind via His special
emissaries . Fred is known in the spiritual trade as the Godmaker.) Anything
that is beyond the pale of proof is indeterminate as far as knowledge. There
are two kinds of proof, one is observation coordinated between groups, which is
the way science works, and law enforcement works. The other is personal private
experience but this version of proof cannot be observed by others. The results
of meditation fall into this category, it is a scaled down version of science
but lacks shareability. The best you can do in this case is tell someone about
your experiences and hope they are interested enough to try it out for
themselves. But in real science, you share observations and ideas with other
minds, and see if those other minds can replicate what you did.

 Metaphysics is the study of ideas that have no physical observations and
therefore there are no shareable proofs as to the reality of metaphysical
statements. Because there are no proofs, arguments like the Kalam argument have
arisen in the attempt to convince people that certain ideas that have no proof,
no evidence, no observable reality, could be true. These argument tend to have
a serious logical flaw, and if they are true they are trivial tautologies
(examples: a = a, a cat is a cat, all things are all things), that is, circular
arguments which tend to be the basic religious argument for why we are here:
'God is God, so there, believe it or else!'

 To return to the first statement in the Kalam argument, I have no reason to
suppose that that first statement is true. You apparently think it is true. Why?

 If you are flabbergasted at what I said previously, you are clearly unaware of
the nature of human imagination, and human nature in general, and the great
variability of possible human experiences.

 'The founder of a religion must be able to turn water into wine -- cure with a
word the blind and lame, and raise with a simple touch the dead to life. It was
necessary for him to demonstrate to the satisfaction of his barbarian disciple,
that he was superior to nature. In times of ignorance this was easy to do. The
credulity of the savage was almost boundless. To him the marvelous was the
beautiful, the mysterious was the sublime. Consequently, every religion has for
its foundation a miracle -- that is to say, a violation of nature -- that is to
say, a falsehood.'

 'No one, in the world's whole history, ever attempted to substantiate a truth
by a miracle. Truth scorns the assistance of a miracle. Nothing but falsehood
ever attested itself by signs and wonders. No miracle ever was performed, and
no sane man ever thought he had performed one, and until one is performed,
there can be no evidence of the existence of any power superior to, and
independent of, nature.'

 -- Robert Ingersoll, 1872

 ==================================

 Xeno,

 I'm flabbergasted at the statements you just said.  In the physical existence
of human beings here on earth, everyone has to have a mother and a father.
Were you not created by your father's sperm that impregnated your mother's egg?
 Didn't she carry you in her womb for 9 months before you were born here on
earth?

 I'll give you my thoughts about Barker's ideas.  But I'm taking the KCA
argument one at a time which starts with statement 1.  Your statements are so
astonishing that we need more clarification about your thoughts and logic.

 Everyone in the forum is invited to participate in this discussion to ask Xeno
about his revelations regarding his physical existence.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <anartaxius@...> wrote :

 'Everything that exists has no cause' is not the equivalent of 'everything
that begins to exist has no cause'. No beginning is stated or implied. I said
nothing about 'begins'. I was talking about existence without time. The
eternity of space and things but no time. Like a still photograph, frozen
being. Have you ever heard the Zen koan 'show me your original face before your
parents were born'? As far as my experience is concerned, I have always
existed. The body that gives me eyes seems to have had prior causes. The raw
components of the body were fashioned in the hearts of collapsing starts
billions of years ago. The protons in my body, if science is correct, are 13.5
billion years old. I certainly feel that old sometimes. So every aspect of my
sense of 'self' is old or timeless, older than my parents as you appear to
imaging them.

 Presumably you have heard various statements on FFL about pure being,
transcendental consciousness, and eternity, you know, beyond life and death.
Even though such statements are a bit shy of the truth, they are representative
of certain kinds of experiences people have when they practice meditation many
times a day for long periods of time. One has experiences that subjectively are
timeless.

 The idea of eternity comes from these kinds of experiences. But if the mind is
not really clear about these sorts of experiences it interprets eternity as
endless time. If we take a scientific perspective, there is no timelessness in
observing the world, though we think we know that if you travel at the speed of
light, there would be timelessness. However only photons travel at the speed of
light in a vacuum, other particles and hence all other matter cannot be
accelerated to the velocity of light because it would take an infinite amount
of energy.

 You still have not really made any significant mention of the Kalam argument.
I think Curtis is right that you do not grasp these things very well. Among
statements about the world and life I have my favourites, but I do not regard
them as true. I particularly do not regard the Kalam argument as true.

 Curtis already demolished your position and you have not responded to him. You
are out of your league with Curtis, as I think I would be. Here is part of an
argument by Dan Barker about the Kalam, what do you think?

 Of course, if you live "outside of time," whatever that means, then you don't
need a beginning in time. A transcendent being, living Theists regularly talk
about a place "beyond" the universe, a transcendent realm where God exists
"outside of time."

 ". . . the universe has a cause. This conclusion ought to stagger us, to fill
us with awe, for it means that the universe was brought into existence by
something which is greater than and beyond it."

 Of course, if you live "outside of time," whatever that means, then you don't
need a beginning in time. A transcendent being, living "beyond" nature, is
conveniently exempt from the limitations of natural law, and all complaints
that God himself must have had a cause or a designer (using the same natural
reasoning that tries to call for his existence) can be dismissed by theists who
insist that God is outside the loop, unaffected by natural causality, beyond
time.

 Yet theists continue to describe this "timeless" being in temporal terms.
Phrases such as "God decided to create the universe" are taken by us mere
mortals to be analogous to such natural phrases as "Annie Laurie decided to
bake a pie." If such phrases are not equal or analogous to normal human
language, and if they are not redefined coherently, then they are useless. We
may as well say "God blopwaddled to scrumpwitch the universe."

 The word "create" is a transitive verb. We have no experience of transitive
verbs operating outside of time (how could we?), so when we hear such a word,
we must picture it the only way we can: a subject acts on an object.
Considering the point at which an action is committed, there must be an
antecedent state "during" which the action is not committed, and this would be
true either in or out of time.

 To say that "God created time" is not comprehensible to us. But if he did it
anyway, in spite of our lack of imagination, then it couldn't have happened
"after" the decision to commit it, because there was no "before." However, we
might still imagine the act of creation as "following" the decision to create.
Or, to avoid temporal terms, the creating succeeds the deciding in the logical
order. (In logic we say that a conclusion "follows," though we do not mean this
happens in space or time. Craig writes that "the origin of the universe is
causally prior to the Big Bang, though not temporally prior to the Big Bang."

 Either in or out of time, the decision of a personal agency to commit an
action happens antecedent to the action itself. Even if the deciding and the
acting happened simultaneously, it would still not be true that the acting was
antecedent to the deciding. Imagine God saying, "Oh, look! I just created a
universe. Now I'd better decide to do it."

 This means that there must exist a series of antecedent causal events in the
mind of a time-transcendent creator, if such a being exists. Since the Kalam
argument claims that "an actual infinity cannot exist in reality," it shoots
itself in the foot: although Kalam deals with temporal succession, the same
logic applies to non-temporal antecedent events, if such things are a part of
reality. If the series were infinite, then God never could have traversed the
totality of his own antecedent mental causes to arrive at his decision to say
"Let there be light." Therefore, sticking with Kalam, there must have been a
"first antecedent" in the mind of an actual God, which means that God "began"
to exist.

I believe you are evading the very argument you brought us here; you have
assumed it is true, but you do not seem to be able to elaborate on it, only
repeat it in its simplest form, which only states the universe has a cause, it
does not say anything about what that cause might be. It could be Fred the
janitor who began to exist the universe, and then he entered his own creation
to sweep the floors, you know, to keep it tidy because of us humans.

 At any rate, what do you have to say about Barker's criticism of the Kalam
(and that is only part of his criticism)?

 As for me, I still do not know what 'begins to exist' means in this context.
In terms of refashioning matter into a new form, I think I probably have an
idea, but that is not begining to exist in an essential sense. I think of
things existing or not, but not beginning to exist. I tend to think of forms
being fashioned from other forms, so an auto-mobile for example, is simply a
rehash of auto-mobile parts, which are then a rehash of raw materials such as
aluminium and iron and plastic (which is a rehash of oil). So your explanation
could be illuminating. I have been waiting with bated breath for your
explanation, but I do not have an infinite attention span, and so far I do not
think you know what you are talking about.

 ===========================

 Xeno,

 After a long introduction to your reasoning, you state that:  "I tend to
prefer 'everything that exists has no cause'. Everything is just there. That is
my position."

 IMO, you're statement is the same as saying "everything that begins to exist
has no cause".  But, in either case, your statement becomes problematic.
Essentially, you're saying that you came into existence in this world without
the involvement of your mother and father.  That is contrary to the natural way
human beings are born.  How is that possible?

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <anartaxius@...> wrote :

 I don't know what it means, explain it to me, as you seem to know what it
means. That NASA sent Curiosity to Mars is not logically connected to your
statement that 'it appears that humans know can understand the meaning of
"begins to exist". You may have connected it in your mind, but not in the post.

 In the link I provided, there are some criticisms of the Kalam argument, but
you have still not read them apparently.

 For me some things exist. Other things do not. 'Begins to exist' seems
redundant. How does that work? What are the steps between non-existence and
existence? I have no clue. I suspect you do not either, but I am willing to
hear you out on this. You need to explain your position.

 My position is this:

 There is an essential value of existence. All things that exist have this
essential value. We can say there are things that do not exist but this is
meaningless as the essential value of existence is missing and therefore there
are no such things. We cannot know of them because they are not.

 Curiosity exists and is on Mars. It exists because someone had a thought, and
then manipulated the extant universe to correspond to the thought. Where did
the thought come from? It appeared in someone's brain, how did it arise? There
was (we assume) prior activity in the person's brain before the thought arose.
Was it just a refashioning of previous neural events, or a spontaneous outlier
from out of nowhere? Everything Curiosity is made of was fashioned from
previously existing matter, already part of the currently extant universe.
Basically it is a sophisticated auto-mobile, but all its parts previously
existed in another form so can we really say it came into being, when its
components already had being?

 The argument you seem to be proposing does not involve refashioning, so that
was not a good analogy. You need to explain your argument to me. What
specifically does 'begins to exist' mean in your context?

 What is the difference in saying 'everything that exists has a cause' compared
to 'everything that begins to exist has a cause'? I tend to prefer 'everything
that exists has no cause'. Everything is just there. That is my position. I am
not sure you have a position, other than you want people to accept the Kalam
argument.

 Xeno,

 Are you saying that the human mind would not be able to fathom the meaning of
"begins to exist"?  If that is so, how is it possible for you to begin and end
a project at work or at home?

 But we know that NASA has been able to send the Curiosity rover to Mars which
is a very high technological feat.  So,  it appears that humans know can
understand the meaning of "begins to exist".  If not, NASA would not have been
able to send the rover to Mars.

 I believe you're avoiding the question by claiming that you don't know what
statement 1 of the KCA means.  In other words, you're being disingenuous.  Or,
that you're pulling a Curtis on us.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <anartaxius@...> wrote :

 x exists x does not exist

 I do not know what the phrase 'begins to exist' means, especially in regard to
the universe as a whole. If x were an auto-mobile, perhaps one could say that
when it was partially assembled, it began to exist, but all the components of
that were manufactured prior to that and merely gathered together with welds,
bolts, and glue. And those parts had precursors, ad infinitum (almost) to the
beginning of the universe, before which we have no knowledge, and in fact we
have only induction as to regard the early universe. And induction is logically
invalid.

 The link I gave in the previous post did do some analysis why the Kalam
argument is flawed, apparently you did not read it. Here it is again:
Cosmological Kalamity
http://infidels.org/library/modern/dan_barker/kalamity.html

 Cosmological Kalamity
http://infidels.org/library/modern/dan_barker/kalamity.html Home » Library »
everything, who made God?" my daughter Kristi asked me, when she was five years
old.

 View on infidels.org
http://infidels.org/library/modern/dan_barker/kalamity.html
 Preview by Yahoo

 I do not know how the universe began.
 I do not know what 'begins to exist' means in this context, can you fill in
some detail?
 If this were science, all I would have to do is wait for your demonstration of
the truth of the argument, but as it seems no one knows, I doubt this would be
forthcoming. As Curtis pointed out, proving a negative is impossible. It is a
time waster. In science one simply ignores those who do not show up with
evidence for their claims and thus science ('to know' is the meaning of the
word) only works with people who actively produce results.

 For all I know the Kalam argument might be accidentally true, but essentially
I just find it unconvincing. If god is un-caused, then god did not begin to
exist, and if god did not begin to exist, he cannot exist. The word everything
would seem to include what is called god, other wise, the first sentence
includes a false concept. We would have not 'everything that begins to exist
has a cause', and then we would have a number of possible things that were
un-caused. For example, Zeus, the king of the gods, a step higher in divinity
than the other gods, of which perhaps your god is one of those lesser ones.

 I can say on the basis of experience, that the universe was re-created this
morning when I woke up. It was recreated again this morning and this evening
when I came out of meditation after a timeless spell (I am not saying what sort
of meditation was happening or not). I am un-caused, and therefore I must not
be beginning to exist, and therefore I am not the universe, but seeing the
universe seemed to emerge from what I am, I must be a creator of some sort. So
if this happens with me, what am I? I must be more than a human form and mind,
being able to contain all this.

 Since in my own estimation, I seem to have created the universe, where does
that leave your argument? If the universe has a cause, how do you determine
what that cause is or is not? Simply stating that the universe has a cause does
not reveal the nature of the cause. It could be a quantum fluctuation in a
multi-verse continuum. With multi-verses, maybe some have gods, and some do
not. Maybe some are created by farts in a hyper-cosmic digestive system.

 You have also not mentioned the argument that the universe has no cause.
Suppose we say, that in spite of all appearances, the universe has no cause at
all. It was a spontaneous event that had no priors; that would mean that all
the stuff in the universe ultimately had no cause either, the stuff within
would have prior events but ultimately could not be traced back to a primal
cause. Accidental existence. Perhaps we are all part of an unwanted pregnancy.

 Curtis is actually much better at this kind of reasoning than I am. I think he
just wanted you to provide a positive example of the stipulation you made,
something he could work with. A philosopher needs an argument, and needs to be
able to state the other person's position accurately so they can look for a
weakness in definition of terms and logic. You need to provide that. Otherwise
you are not worth his time. He might as well waste his time with a
Bible-thumping preacher from Hicksville. His time would be better spent
teaching kids critical thinking. I can tell you when I was young in school,
this is a skill that was not taught. America is a nation of idiots and climbing
out of that pit of un-reason is no easy task. To be fair, had I ever remained
in Greece, I doubt I would have fared better, though there are more
opportunities for causes way back at the beginning of our place in the scheme
of things:

 Greek gods prepare for comeback
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/may/05/greece

 http://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/may/05/greece

 Greek gods prepare for comeback
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/may/05/greece It has taken almost 2,000
years, but those who worship the 12 gods of ancient Greece have finally
triumphed. An Athens court has ordered that the adulation of...

 View on www.theguardian.com http://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/may/05/greece
 Preview by Yahoo

 Xeno,

 I have asked Curtis about his support or evidence for disagreeing with the
statements in the Kalam Cosmological Argument.  But he just gave me a lot of
song and dance about his opinions without providing the evidence for his
arguments.  Can you give us a solid argument with evidence and support why the
statements in the KCA have a flaw?

 Let's take the KCA which states:

 Everything that begins to exist has a cause; The universe began to exist;
Therefore: The universe has a cause. Do you agree with statement 1 or not?  If
not, please give us your reasons for disagreeing.