---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <inmadison@...> wrote :

 there seem to be 2 questions running through this thread:  1) is a belief in
God a mental illness and 2) is a belief in God justifiable.

the first question is too cumbersome for me - having the notion of mental
illness imbedded in the question . . . and I can't speak as to what a mental
illness is, but the question  is believing in the efficacy of trickle-down
economics a mental illness could be fun  : )

Re the 2nd question, I'm skipping is there a proof for the existence of God
since it's pretty clear no such proof exists - and I'm suggesting:   is a
belief in God justifiable?

We may believe in many things where there is no direct evidence, or no proof,
but yet that belief is justifiable.  For example, we may believe someone lied
to us, even though we have no proof.

[BTW - I am very much an amateur philosopher]     I am going to restate the 2nd
question as:    Is a believe in the existence of component or realm beyond the
physical/material justified?  When I use the expression 'physical/material' I
include anything that is physical/material, or anything that interacts with the
physical/material.

An individual who did not believe a belief in God was justified, would believe
that the material/physical world was sufficient to explain all observable
phenomenon, including the existence of the of the physical/material world
itself.

For me, I think the question is a bit of a red herring, but I admit to having
read and heard nuanced and elegant expressions regarding the need for the
nonphysical (spiritual) to explain stuff like value, and the moment by moment
appreciation of an otherwise brutish world.

 Boy oh boy do I like your posts. Yessiree, I surely do.