This may be above my pay-grade, but if one is a transcendentalist/idealist,
then belief in classic cause and effect is incompatible with that belief . . .
or one has to significantly qualify what is meant by cause and effect.   Many
folks who refer to them selves as transcendentalists/idealists are actually
dualists, or simply rebranded materialists (I am not suggesting you are)

Regarding the 'illusion' - when you pick up an object, like an apple for
example, what does your experience tell you?    When I pick up an apple, I see
it's color and shape, I feel the texture and if pressed with a fingernail - I
can sense the sticky juice, I taste the tart sweetness . . . and I remember
apple pies and so forth.  My experience of the apple is passionate and lively -
Where is the illusion?  Toss in more awareness and all you get is more passion
- there is no illusion.  'Illusion' is just India of old - we don't need no
stinking illusion in the 21st century.