The way Maharishi explained the "illusion of Maya" is rather different than
what a lot of people understand.

 Consciousness is not an illusion, nor is what most people call "reality."

 The illusion is that there is a fundamental difference between them.

 This is the "veil of maya": a thin, non-existent membrane that separates the
two which is merely an artifact of our perception of things based on having a
nervous system. Full enlightenment is when you can full see on both sides of
that non-existent veil.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <inmadison@...> wrote :

 This may be above my pay-grade, but if one is a transcendentalist/idealist,
then belief in classic cause and effect is incompatible with that belief . . .
or one has to significantly qualify what is meant by cause and effect.   Many
folks who refer to them selves as transcendentalists/idealists are actually
dualists, or simply rebranded materialists (I am not suggesting you are)

Regarding the 'illusion' - when you pick up an object, like an apple for
example, what does your experience tell you?    When I pick up an apple, I see
it's color and shape, I feel the texture and if pressed with a fingernail - I
can sense the sticky juice, I taste the tart sweetness . . . and I remember
apple pies and so forth.  My experience of the apple is passionate and lively -
Where is the illusion?  Toss in more awareness and all you get is more passion
- there is no illusion.  'Illusion' is just India of old - we don't need no
stinking illusion in the 21st century.