On 10/23/2014 9:05 AM, Mike Dixon mdixon.6...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife] wrote:
 I thought Lost Pines burned down a couple years ago durring the drought.

/Yes, unfortunately there was a fire at the Lost Pines at Bastrop, but there was no fire in the main Piney Woods, which is about 100 miles east of Bastrop. According to what I've read, t//he stand of pines is unique in Texas because it is a "disjunct" population of trees that is more than 100 miles (160 km) separated from, and yet closely genetically related to, the vast expanse of pine trees of the Piney Woods region. That's why the location is called "Lost Pines" but which might now be called "no pines."

I didn't mention the Piney Woods because my photo essay has to do with the "power places of central Texas", where we currently reside. Thanks for the comment.

"The Piney Woods is a temperate coniferous forest terrestrial ecoregion in the Southern United States covering 54,400 square miles (141,000 km2) of East Texas, southern Arkansas, western Louisiana, and southeastern Oklahoma. These coniferous forests are dominated by several species of pine as well as hardwoods including hickory and oak. Historically the most dense part of this forest region was the Big Thicket though the lumber industry dramatically reduced the forest concentration in this area and throughout the Piney Woods during the 19th and 20th centuries."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piney_Woods <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piney_Woods>/