The fact that you did this pre computer this way makes takes this from amazing
to F'n magic Edg. I had admired your art before but somehow knowing the process
makes it richer. Incomprehensible to the visual arts impaired like me. Glad you
posted his.

 BTW I did this piece ten years before I had my first home computer.

Here's the technique I used for the leopard.....a few steps more complex than
that used for the Maharishi portrait.

Technique used:

1. Gesso the canvas and sand down with fine sandpaper -- three layers.
2. Paint entire canvas with acrylic black. This is done in the sunshine such
that the sun dries out any thin coat almost instantly -- small areas worked
repeatedly until the canvas is as SMOOTH AS GLASS....no canvas fabric textures.
Canvas ends up covered with "about" three layers of black.
3. Lay down a matrix of 1/8th inch wide tape. Individual squares' sides are 1/4
inch.
4. Using a spoon, "iron" down all the tape -- especially where
tape-crosses-tape -- using the edge of the spoon's bowl to jam the tape into
the corners.
5. Spray paint the entire taped-matrix canvas with white paint. Holding spray
can perpendicular to the canvas about a foot away, so that the paint hits the
black squares but is not jet-sprayed under the tape -- especially at the
corners.
6. Prepare a number-analysis of an image. Before computers did this, I devised
a by-hand method of determining the black-white value of any given square. I
judged each unit of the image on a 1-10 scale.
7. Hand pencil into all the squares the appropriate number.
8. Using razor blade, cut off tape where image/intuition conspire to "demand"
that adjacent squares be "joined" into rectangles -- an art-sense process
combined with "critically needed" concept. Some squares just had to be squares,
ya know?
9. Where the tape was removed, paint the now-exposed black area white --
careful to do this without painting out the number penciled in the white areas.
10. Mix paints. Choose general hue, and then prepare 10 values of that hue from
"almost white" to "almost black." Sit in a dark room without lights for ten
minutes and mix the paints using the rods of your eyes without the color
information from the cones. Result: 100 small batches of pigment in film
canisters. Oil paint....not acrylic.
11. Determine a color scheme for the non-image areas.
12. Spoon down the taped matrix in a small area of the canvas and paint the
squares with corresponding hue.
13. Using tweezers and razor blade, carefully pull off the tape still
surrounding the now freshly painted areas. This leaves the areas sharply
surrounded by crisp black lines.
14. Repair any messed up lines.
15. Repeat until all areas have no tape.

Say "ah."