A 60 day quarantine for people? That'll ruin a few holidays!

 I wonder what disease he'll campaign to stop crossing borders? Flu seems the
most obvious, it kills more every year than AIDS and Ebola ever will. And think
of what it would cost to set up and run a human health passport! and it will
all be a waste of time as people will forge it anyway. If only we were simple
as horses...

 Richard, you might find this interesting. I just received it this morning with
Subject line: human health and horse health

 The the following letter was submitted to the editor of the Lewiston Morning
Tribune:

Editor, Lewiston Morning Tribune:

If I wish to import a horse into the United States from Liberia or any African
country other than Morocco, the horse needs to undergo a 60 day quarantine
period at a USDA approved quarantine facility prior to mingling with the
general population of horses in this country. Africa has a disease called
African Horse Sickness that does not exist in the US; this is the way we have
kept it out of this country. African Horse Sickness does not cause disease in
people, only horses; our government has determined that it would be devastating
to the US horse industry if it were to come here.

The United States (and virtually all other countries) require a myriad of tests
and often quarantine prior to bringing in a foreign animal.

I can’t legally cross state lines in the United States with a horse or cow
without a health certificate signed by a USDA accredited veterinarian stating
that the animal has been inspected and found free of infectious disease. In
most cases blood tests are also required. In fact I can’t legally cross the
Snake River and ride my horse in Washington without a health certificate and a
negative blood test for Equine Infectious Anemia.

I’m not complaining; the United States of America, the States of Idaho and
Washington as well as the other 48 states take the health of our livestock very
seriously, and we have a very good record at keeping foreign animal diseases
out of our country. I am happy to do my part to maintain biosecurity in our
animal population.

If I am a resident of Liberia incubating Ebola, to enter the United States all
I need to do is present a valid visa, and lie when asked if I have been exposed
to Ebola. Within hours (no quarantine required) I can be walking the streets of
any city in the United States.

I feel very fortunate to live in a country that values our animals so highly.

David A. Rustebakke, DVM

 On Sunday, October 26, 2014 3:25 PM, "'Richard J. Williams' punditster@...