On 10/27/2014 7:29 AM, dhamiltony...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife] wrote:

Yep re-activate Ellis Island or a system something like it. There should be screening of where people are coming from in the world.

/There are millions of undocumented migrants in the USA. You've got to be realistic, Buck.//The U.S. does not have secure borders./

Like with the USDA system of bringing animals in from around the world. "Whoa there, where you been?" Like the CDC the USDA knows where different disease is endemic in the world and then calibrates the health check/quarantine stay accordingly. I have brokered many many tens of horses through the USDA system importing animals to the US. The system is really well facilitated in very controlled processes. It works really well. You just plan for it.

This should be developed right now before Ebola gets endemic much further away from those places where it is now in Africa. Everyone's question now should be, "have you or anyone you are living with been to West Africa in the last twenty-two days?" Ask before you even shake hands with someone let alone hug them. That should start at the loading gate on the other end. Take temperatures and draw blood right there on everyone. Before they load. Again after they get here. Stop ebola in its tracks there. It works for animals. That same modern system can work with humans. Get real.
-Buck

fleetwood_macncheese@...> wrote :

Yep, horses can't vote. If they could, or at least spend money, we'd have demonstrations in the streets decrying the denial of equine rights, and calls to immediately overturn this terribly inconvenient quarantine.

sharelong60@...> wrote :

Richard, you might find this interesting. I just received it this morning with Subject line: human health and horse health

The the following letter was submitted to the editor of the Lewiston Morning Tribune:

Editor, Lewiston Morning Tribune:

If I wish to import a horse into the United States from Liberia or any African country other than Morocco, the horse needs to undergo a 60 day quarantine period at a USDA approved quarantine facility prior to mingling with the general population of horses in this country. Africa has a disease called African Horse Sickness that does not exist in the US; this is the way we have kept it out of this country. African Horse Sickness does not cause disease in people, only horses; our government has determined that it would be devastating to the US horse industry if it were to come here.

The United States (and virtually all other countries) require a myriad of tests and often quarantine prior to bringing in a foreign animal.

I can’t legally cross state lines in the United States with a horse or cow without a health certificate signed by a USDA accredited veterinarian stating that the animal has been inspected and found free of infectious disease. In most cases blood tests are also required. In fact I can’t legally cross the Snake River and ride my horse in Washington without a health certificate and a negative blood test for Equine Infectious Anemia.

I’m not complaining; the United States of America, the States of Idaho and Washington as well as the other 48 states take the health of our livestock very seriously, and we have a very good record at keeping foreign animal diseases out of our country. I am happy to do my part to maintain biosecurity in our animal population.

If I am a resident of Liberia incubating Ebola, to enter the United States all I need to do is present a valid visa, and lie when asked if I have been exposed to Ebola. Within hours (no quarantine required) I can be walking the streets of any city in the United States.

I feel very fortunate to live in a country that values our animals so highly.

David A. Rustebakke, DVM

On Sunday, October 26, 2014 3:25 PM, "'Richard J. Williams' punditster@... [FairfieldLife]" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

/Some people are going into a panic and close to hysteria about the Ebola outbreak. Now we've even got people in a panic about people being in a panic. //Go figure./ /
//
//At first there was neglect, then a panic, now it's an anti-panic situation. It looks like the average American is safe. Rita has a better chance of winning the state lottery than you have of getting Ebola. But, the situation may get a lot worse before it gets better. The scary part is how Ebola can mutate and is subject to natural selection.

At this point there's not much science to it - anything we say now can't be carved in stone.

This Ebola Halloween scare is like a nightmare, except it's real life: the walking dead, sneezing and coughing, getting sick on the sidewalk and crapping all over the subways - the result of a rabid virus infection; zombies, what's left of them, wandering all over town and the countryside trying to get some help//, any help. /

/Repeat after me:/

"...people infected with Ebola cannot spread the disease until they begin to display symptoms, and it cannot be spread through the air."

'The Ebola Anti-Hysteria Hysteria'
Wall Street Journal:
http://tinyurl.com/lvuujk3

    /The Ebola virus is highly contagious, but o//nly when you have a
    fever and are exhibiting symptoms. When treating an Ebola patient
    you have to wear protective suits and avoid contact with the
    patient's bodily fluids//. Everyone who has contacted the patient
    should be monitored for symptoms. //
    //
    //According to what I've read, the best way to prevent the spread
    of Ebola is to treat the disease and try to eradicate it where it
    originated - in West Africa. So, some doctors, nurses, and care
    givers and the U.S. army are going over there to help the people. //
    //
    // The question is, what to do when the caregivers come back to
    their home countries. What would you do when a doctor or nurse pr
    some//body //returns to the U.S?//
    ////
    /

     1. /Checked for symptoms at at the airport/
     2. /Self-quarantinedat home/
     3. /Self-monitored at home/
     4. /Tested at a major medical center/

    /or,//
    //
    /

     1. /Not allowed back into the U.S.A.//
        /
     2. /Tracked/
     3. /Hounded/
     4. /Hunted/
     5. /Arrested/
     6. /Locked up/
     7. /All of the above/
     8. /None of the above/

    ///So, who is going to want to go over to Africa to care for
    Ebola patients?/

    'UTA grad isolated at New Jersey hospital as part of Ebola
    quarantine'
    Dallas Morning News:

http://www.dallasnews.com/ebola/headlines/20141025-uta-grad-isolated-at-new-jersey-hospital-as-part-of-ebola-quarantine.ece

  • [FairfieldLife]... 'Richard J. Williams' pundits...@gmail.com [FairfieldLife]