On 10/27/2014 1:13 PM, Bhairitu noozg...@sbcglobal.net [FairfieldLife] wrote:

Yeah, I read the article. But I know scientists who agree with me that intelligent life on our neighboring planets may not exist "as we know it" because conditions on those planets may have evolved life in a different way than we would even recognize.

/You have to factor in the element of time.

Other life could exist, or could have existed, but by the time we discover it, in light years, it would be dead, or we will be dead. Our species, or any species, may exist only for a short time, relative to the universe as a whole.

The odds against contact are astronomical (no pun intended).//It would take so many light years traveling in space just to get somewhere that by the time we got there there would be no life there.

/
Humans are SO VAIN!

/There is no higher intelligence than human intelligence and it may be unique. We are the only self-conscious beings in the universe. Everyone is enlightened relative to the rest of the universe.//There's simply nothing better than being human with a mind. YMMV./

Nature loves to replicate itself even on our own planet so logic sez that human like beings might exist on a lot of other planets in this universe where conditions warranted them developing the way they did here. We're mostly just souped up amoebas.

/Well over half of life species on this planet has already become extinct in just a few short years. You can imagine that life in the universe would likewise be short lived, relatively speaking. /

On 10/27/2014 09:19 AM, salyavin808 wrote:

He should go back to playing guitar. Hope he doesn't write computer code because his logic would be very flawed.

He actually played keyboards, but yes the logic as applied here is awful. But that's the fault of the Daily Mail's hysterical need for a catchy headline, our Brian wouldn't ever claim actual certainty for anything like this, though he might make a good argument for it being vanishingly unlikely. I shall watch the show and see what he does say.

    On 10/27/2014 06:02 AM, salyavin808 wrote:

We are alone in the universe: Professor Brian Cox says alien life is all but impossible as humanity is 'unique' <http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2809183/We-universe-Professor-Brian-Cox-says-alien-life-impossible-humanity-unique.html>

image <http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2809183/We-universe-Professor-Brian-Cox-says-alien-life-impossible-humanity-unique.html>

We are alone in the universe: Professor Brian Cox says a... <http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2809183/We-universe-Professor-Brian-Cox-says-alien-life-impossible-humanity-unique.html> The presenter and scientist blames a series of 'evolutionary bottlenecks' for the lack of extraterrestrial life on other planets, despite there being a vast...

View on www.dailymail.co.uk <http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2809183/We-universe-Professor-Brian-Cox-says-alien-life-impossible-humanity-unique.html>

Preview by Yahoo

I'm kinda with the prof here, but we don't know enough of the variables to be able to say it with any certainty. One thing is for sure though: there's no intelligent life in the Daily Mail comments section...