 From: salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2014 8:21 PM
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Are we really all alone?

Now, now, the "space brothers" may have
engineered us.  But if we evolved from apes what did the apes
evolve from?

We are apes, we didn't evolve from them. We all share a common ancestry with
some sort of lemur-y sort of thing I suppose.

 "Shakti" is the life force that animates living
things, at least as Indian philosophy labels it and science hasn't
yet figured that one out though apparently trying to.

Is there a force that animates us? Might be tricky to find if it's an illusion.
I would like to know what the first creatures who managed this exchange of food
for energy and free movement looked like though.

We've many mysteries to go I think.

On 10/27/2014 11:44 AM, salyavin808 wrote:

>---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <noozguru@...> wrote :
>

>Yeah, I
read the article.  But I know
scientists who agree with me that intelligent life on
our
neighboring planets may not exist "as we know it"
because
conditions on those planets may have evolved life in a
different
way than we would even recognize.  Humans are SO VAIN!

>I'll counter that
with the idea that, apart from carbon, there isn't
anything else to make life out of as nothing else
can form the sort of complex chain molecules that
make up the only life we know of. Water is essential
to that process so it seems smart to narrow the
search to worlds like ours.

>Other exo-biologists
claim that's crap and have formulated chemical
possibilities made out of all sorts of things. How
credible they are will only be demonstrated when
we've explored the solar system properly and checked
the atmosphere of Jupiter for lifeforms. There's
even speculation about electricity based life on
neutron stars as a possibility. But the more
possible varieties you come up with makes it even
harder to answer the question, where is everybody?

>Nature loves to replicate itself even on our own
planet so logic
sez that human like beings might exist on a lot of
other planets
in this universe where conditions warranted them
developing the
way they did here.  We're mostly just souped up
amoebas.

>I don't think nature
has created humans more than once, we are just apes,
branching off from our ancestors and so on
backwards. Look at all the other creatures that
might have got the "lucky" break of our type of
consciousness. Any one of them, but none of them
did. And how likely was that? Easily might never
have happened just like all other lucky breaks we
needed to create us, and even from day one when our
cells combined with bacteria. Was that one on a
billion or even more? And it only happened once (and
survived) and it created all life we see, everything
is descended from the same cell! Aint that romantic!
And probably rather unlikely as it took 3.5 billion
years before the accident happened, so it might just
as easily never have happened. These are the sort of
variables that need to be answered before we can say
with any confidence how likely it is that we are
alone but it looks like a lot of flukes happened
here, which seems to make it unlikely they happened
anywhere else.

>Given that the
organic matter to make up life seems to be
everywhere I can see there are loads of planets with
seas full of simple celled life. Maybe one or two
has had the unlikely accident of complex cells and
maybe one or two of those has a biosphere as varied
as ours, but how many have intelligent, scientific
life with technology. How likely was it given the
amount of time that passed before we got there, and
why did it happen to us? And what are the chances of
there being two civilisations existing at the same
time with technology similar enough that we could
communicate?

>Best part is we
might get answers to these questions very soon, we
will at least be able to tell if the Earth like
planets we've found recently have life on them by
studying their atmospheric composition. If they find
any gases like methane they will know that there is
life because they are reactive and will combine with
other gases present and so have to be constantly
created by some biological process. A signature of
alien life! We wont be able to tell from that what
sort of complexity it has but it'll be fascinating
to know that at least some of the variables have
been settled..

salyavin808 wrote:

>>---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <noozguru@...> wrote :
>>

>>He
should
Hope he doesn't write computer code because
his logic
would be
very flawed.

>>He
actually
played keyboards, but yes the logic as
applied here
is awful. But that's the fault of the Daily
Mail's
hysterical need for a catchy headline, our
Brian
wouldn't ever claim actual certainty for
anything
like this, though he might make a good
argument for
it being vanishingly unlikely. I shall watch
the
show and see what he does say.

salyavin808 wrote:

>>>We
are
alone
in the universe: Professor Brian Cox
says
alien life is all but impossible as
humanity
is
'unique'

>>>   We
are
alone
in the universe: Professor
Brian
Cox says a...
>>>The
presenter and
scientist blames a series of
'evolutionary
bottlenecks' for the lack of
extraterrestrial life on
other
planets,
despite there being a
vast...

>>>View on www.dailymail.co.uk    Preview by Yahoo
>>>

>>>I'm kinda with the prof here, but
we don't
know
enough of the variables to be able to
say it
with any
certainty. One thing is for sure though:
there's
no
intelligent life in the Daily Mail
comments