Thanks for being a true scientific voice on this forum, Salyavin. Your voice
provides a welcome antidote to all those whose brains have been Woo-Wooed into
mush and who will now believe almost anything.

________________________________
 From: salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2014 7:44 PM
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Are we really all alone?

Yeah, I read the article.  But I know
scientists who agree with me that intelligent life on our
neighboring planets may not exist "as we know it" because
conditions on those planets may have evolved life in a different
way than we would even recognize.  Humans are SO VAIN!

I'll counter that with the idea that, apart from carbon, there isn't anything
else to make life out of as nothing else can form the sort of complex chain
molecules that make up the only life we know of. Water is essential to that
process so it seems smart to narrow the search to worlds like ours.

Other exo-biologists claim that's crap and have formulated chemical
possibilities made out of all sorts of things. How credible they are will only
be demonstrated when we've explored the solar system properly and checked the
atmosphere of Jupiter for lifeforms. There's even speculation about electricity
based life on neutron stars as a possibility. But the more possible varieties
you come up with makes it even harder to answer the question, where is
everybody?

Nature loves to replicate itself even on our own planet so logic
sez that human like beings might exist on a lot of other planets
in this universe where conditions warranted them developing the
way they did here.  We're mostly just souped up amoebas.

I don't think nature has created humans more than once, we are just apes,
branching off from our ancestors and so on backwards. Look at all the other
creatures that might have got the "lucky" break of our type of consciousness.
Any one of them, but none of them did. And how likely was that? Easily might
never have happened just like all other lucky breaks we needed to create us,
and even from day one when our cells combined with bacteria. Was that one on a
billion or even more? And it only happened once (and survived) and it created
all life we see, everything is descended from the same cell! Aint that
romantic! And probably rather unlikely as it took 3.5 billion years before the
accident happened, so it might just as easily never have happened. These are
the sort of variables that need to be answered before we can say with any
confidence how likely it is that we are alone but it looks like a lot of flukes
happened here, which seems to make it unlikely
 they happened anywhere else.

Given that the organic matter to make up life seems to be everywhere I can see
there are loads of planets with seas full of simple celled life. Maybe one or
two has had the unlikely accident of complex cells and maybe one or two of
those has a biosphere as varied as ours, but how many have intelligent,
scientific life with technology. How likely was it given the amount of time
that passed before we got there, and why did it happen to us? And what are the
chances of there being two civilisations existing at the same time with
technology similar enough that we could communicate?

Best part is we might get answers to these questions very soon, we will at
least be able to tell if the Earth like planets we've found recently have life
on them by studying their atmospheric composition. If they find any gases like
methane they will know that there is life because they are reactive and will
combine with other gases present and so have to be constantly created by some
biological process. A signature of alien life! We wont be able to tell from
that what sort of complexity it has but it'll be fascinating to know that at
least some of the variables have been settled..

On 10/27/2014 09:19 AM, salyavin808 wrote:

>---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <noozguru@...> wrote :
>

>He
should go back to playing guitar.
Hope he doesn't write computer code because his logic
would be
very flawed.

>He actually
played keyboards, but yes the logic as applied here
is awful. But that's the fault of the Daily Mail's
hysterical need for a catchy headline, our Brian
wouldn't ever claim actual certainty for anything
like this, though he might make a good argument for
it being vanishingly unlikely. I shall watch the
show and see what he does say.

salyavin808 wrote:

>>We
are
alone in the universe: Professor Brian Cox
says
alien life is all but impossible as humanity
is
'unique'

>>   We
are
alone in the universe: Professor
Brian
Cox says a...
>>The presenter and
scientist blames a series of
'evolutionary
bottlenecks' for the lack of
extraterrestrial life on other
planets,
despite there being a vast...

>>View on www.dailymail.co.uk    Preview by Yahoo
>>

>>I'm kinda with the prof here, but we don't
know
enough of the variables to be able to say it
with any
certainty. One thing is for sure though: there's
no
intelligent life in the Daily Mail comments
section...

              • ... salyavin808
              • ... salyavin808