I appreciate your points, thanks for making them, and agree with them as
factors in what is preserved in recorded music, especially what is captured by
videos and then compressed on Youtube.

But I am not sure this level of acoustic reproduction is what Nabbie is
objecting to in my music. I think it is the style of what  he calls "screaming"
but which is technically called belting that is part of what he doesn't like.
Since I spent a year with a classical singing teacher to refine this sound I
consider it an important part of my acoustic blues preservation work. There was
an open throated style that guys like Charley Patton and Son House had that
most people who perform blues don't study these days. It requires you to find
your own relaxed singing voice for maximum volume in outdoor settings and is an
important part of my busking performances.  It allows me to sustain high volume
for hours It is not a modern style. It will not be everyone's favorite since it
is different from the sound people used on mikes later on. (Howlin Wolf is an
exception.) We don't have a record of how Robert sounded in this kind of
setting, we only have him right next to a mike. But in context, it turns
outdoor performance into a high paying gig. In recording sessions I mostly use
a different range of my voice because it is almost impossible to recreate the
conditions of outdoor performance inside.

His other objections to "Look on Yonder Wall" by Elmore James being too fast
would look silly if compared to the original rather than a completely different
artist with a different song.

My push back on his concept of what art is has similarities to what I object to
in his other interests in subjectively based knowledge claims. Everyone wants
to have their opinion taken as a fact but I don't believe the world really
works that way. And believing that one's personal standards and preferences
make one able to declare one person's work "art" and another's, NOT art has
been and continues to be one of the worst human ideas for the arts ever. Guys
like Nabbie were the first to condemn the acoustic blues as worthless back in
the day. It was only a handful of preservationists who ignored that view and
saved the blues for us today. It was literally being thrown out 78 by 78
record. Now Robert Johnson is still regarded as a primitive folk musician by
many musical academics.

Thanks for continuing the rap. Your kind intentions are greatly appreciated.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <anartaxius@...> wrote :

 Okay Nabbie, I listened to the Robert Johnson recording and to some of
Curtis's recordings on YouTube.

 This is regarding you one note theory of music here. Granted some instruments
tone productions can be a thing that must be practised, sounding a note on a
violin is rather complex. But many instruments such as the piano, just about
anyone can strike a note and it sounds the same. It is the relationships
between the notes that make music not just one note. Beauty in a single note is
in the eye of a beholder. Take the saxophone. This was originally intended to
be a classical instrument, but for the most part it ended up in jazz, brass
bands, on the popular side of the tracks. Classical saxophone playing is
generally very smooth and mellow. While jazz players are often rather raspy in
tone. You have to consider the style of music being played. If you consider
'beauty of tone' as a criterion, most jazz saxophonists sound like crap next to
a good classical player. But the classical player probably could never
replicate the style of the jazz players.

 YouTube is not the best way to hear music. It is compressed and often recopied
and recompressed many times. Consumer video recorders have microphones that
have distorted frequency response, often boosting the highs, and they are
recorded at the camera location, not with optimum placement.
 The Robert Johnson recording is a solo, and 1936 recording technology loses
both deep bass and much of the high frequencies (and an abrasive was added to
the shellac of 78rpm records to keep the needle from wearing them down too
quickly). His sound on the reproduction on YouTube is dead because it has been
processed to remove the noise of that technology.  So when you compare the
musical sound of different musicians, you have to account for how the recording
technology, and the recording engineer affect the final sound.

 Studio recordings tend to be different than live recordings. The atmosphere is
more relaxed in a studio recording, and the need to project to an audience is
absent so the sound might be more intimate. A completely acoustic performance
without amplification requires projecting to the audience, and such a
performance might sound a bit more intense than one in a more intimate setting.

 Comparing solo guitar and voice with what Curtis does with additional
instruments is not a telling comparison. The ability to play slowly is nice,
but a pro has to be able to handle rapid passages with ease, and without making
serious errors. Now I can play slowly, because I am not that skilled, and have
no other choice, lacking technical fluency. Five-year-old children can play the
piano far better than I ever will. I am pretty good with single notes too. I
can play them loud, soft, and in between.

 There are kinds of music I like, music I like less, and music I do not like,
but I do not consider those performing music I do not like as crude etc.,
because I have not really investigated their artistry and style; some of these
musicians seem to be fantastic in their technical ability. I mostly listen to
Western European music, Bach, Handel, Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and so forth, so
I have a musical bias, I almost never listen to pop, jazz, musicals, rock, or
blues. Learning something about the style of a particular kind of musics helps
to appreciate more, even if in the end, you do not like it. For example, I do
not like rap, but it takes a tremendous amount of rhythmic and verbal and
literary skill to produce it.

 I read somewhere on FFL you were a photographer. Are you an artist or a hack
(just taking soulless pictures for money)? I do not believe you have ever given
us a sample of your work. I am sure there are critics in the audience who would
be glad to evaluate your artistic ability. What do you consider to be art in
the field of photography? If we are discussing art versus non art, there must
be some general criterion or criteria by which to evaluate it.

 "If Curtis were as bad as you say, what do you think he should do to improve?"

 Good question. First of all I'd recommend practise, practise, practise. He
could start by hitting one note at a time, just one note and listening to it,
how it sounds, vibrates and how the sound slowly disappears. Just that, very
simply and innoscently create one sound, and then listen to it, how pleasing is
that sound, does it sound better doing it in another way ?  And again, and
again, and again. By doing this one acquires an understanding of the basics and
a love for the note itself. Without this basics one is lost and will never
achieve anything. One should understand that the ability to play fast on any
instrument is not the same as playing music. To be able to play slowly is the
hallmark of a professional.
  Many amateurs, like Curtis, make this mistake; they skip the basics and try
to convey too much.
 I recommend you to listen to the video I posted by Robert Johnson. Where is
the showmanship in this ? There isn't any because his heart is in it. When you
listen to this, perhaps you better understand my disgust when fellows like
Curtis comes along claiming to play the blues.

 Robert Johnson - Kind Hearted Woman Blues (1936)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82yNxiF-T4A

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82yNxiF-T4A

 Robert Johnson - Kind Hearted Woman Blues (1936)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82yNxiF-T4A This Song contains the only guitar
solo Robert Johnson ever recorded. I very good example for his amazing talent.
He plays rhythm and lead guitar on one inst...

 View on www.youtube.com https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82yNxiF-T4A
 Preview by Yahoo