My best friend in high school was a gifted artist, and the best ceramicist in
the school.

 He could center the clay immediately, make thin walls, lips, lids with ease,
while I would struggle with each of those things.

 I am still in awe of artists who are able to draw or create art with ease.

 I may have told this story before.  In the fifth grade, there was a kid, Chris
Hagelin, who even at that age was a gifted artist.

 He died of a brain hemorrhage that summer.

 I remember a picture of the headless horseman he made.

 At the St. Louis Zoo, there is a fountain made of animal figures our sixth
grade class in remembrance of him.

 When I was trying to make a living doing "art," I met "real artists" who were
so artistically superior that I was ashamed to present my stuff -- and yet most
could not make a living selling their art.   At one time I was in three
galleries and never came close to selling enough to "cut it." I met one guy who
had major works in many museums and still couldn't sell enough to quit his day
job.

And the gallery owners are all about the money.  I had one tell me, as he
looked at one of my canvases, "Oh, I couldn't sell this.  Purple never sells."
See?

Try to use purple after that.  The true artist is up against such a wall of
ignorance.

Each one is like a preacher on a stump in the public square -- speaking an
unknown dialect.