My God, how did we ever get through those four years?

Quite a trip to read this.  On one hand, it feels
like stuff you'd read about in a history book, long
over and done with; and on the other, there's the
very vivid personal memories of it all happening.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, akasha_108 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> http://www.hippy.com/php/article-15.html
>
> I find timelines can be interesting -- jogging memories of what we
> were doing when these events occurred --  and can help in
> reconstrucing other timelines like the TMO (this course had to be
near
> these dates because I remember the announcement about ... dying."
>
> A few key years (many more on link)
>

> 1967
> Jan 14 - Gathering of the Tribes, First Human Be-In, 20,000, S.F.
> Jan 27 - US, USSR, UK sign treaty banning nuclear  weapons in space
> Feb - 25,000 US troops sent to Cambodian border
> Feb - Beatles release Strawberry Fields Forever, Penny Lane,
Michelle,
> Yesterday
> Mar - Scientist report LSD causes chromosome damage (never
validated).
> Mar - The Berkeley Barb starts the smokable banana rumor (based upon
> Donovan's song "Mellow Yellow")
> Mar 3 - Alice B. Toklas dies
> Mar 18 - First U.S. supertanker wreck. Torrey Canyon spills 90,000
> tons of oil onto English shores
> Mar 26 - Be-In at Central Park in NY. 10,000 attend
> Apr 5 - Grayline starts hippie tours of Haight/Ashbury
> Apr 10 - Vietnam Week starts.  Draft card burnings and anti-draft
> demonstrations
> Apr 15 - Anti-Vietnam War protest. 400,000 march from Central Park
> UN. Speeches by Martin Luther King, Stokely Carmichael and Dr.
> Benjamin Spock
> May - Paul McCartney announces that all the Beatles have "dropped
acid."
> May 19 - First U.S. air strike on Hanoi
> May 20 - Flower Power Day in NYC 1967
> Jun 2 - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album by the Beatles
> released.
> Jun 16 - Monterey Pop Festival
> Jun 21 - Summer Solstice Party in Golden Gate Park
> Jun 25 - Beatles sing "All You Need Is Love" on TV 1967
> Jun 30 - 448,400 US troops now in Vietnam
> July - The Summer of Love in San Francisco
> July - Summer of Rioting in the US.  Blacks take to the streets in
> Chicago, Brooklyn, Cleveland and Baltimore
> July 1 - Sgt. Pepper hits #1
> July 11 - Newark riots start long hot summer
> July 24 - 43 Die in Detroit rioting, worst in U.S. history
> July 26 - H. Rap Brown arrested for inciting a riot in Maryland
> July 29 - Door's Light My Fire and Procol Harem's Whiter Shade of
Pale
> vie for #1
> Aug 26 - Jimi Hendrix's "Are You Experienced" hits the charts
> Aug 27 - Beatles in India with Maharishi informed of Brian
Epstein's death
> Sept - Richard Alpert meets Bhagwan Dass at the Blue Tibetan in
> Katmandu, stays in India & follows him until he meets his guru.
> Sept 15 - Donovan performs at the Hollywood Bowl
> Oct 3 - Woody Guthrie dies
> Oct 8 - Che Guevarra killed in Bolivia by US-trained troops
> Oct 12 - Big Brother and the Holding Company's Cheap Thrills with
> Janis Joplin at top of LP charts.
> Oct 20 - Seven KKK members convicted of conspiracy in 1964 murders
of
> three civil rights worker
> Oct 21-22 - Anti-war protesters storm the Pentagon
> Oct 21 - "Diggers" exorcise the Pentagon.  35,000 Demonstrate, 647
> arrested
> Oct 26 - Draft deferments eliminated for those who violate draft
laws
> or interfere with recruitment
> Nov 14 - Air Quality Act provides $428 million to fight air
pollution
> Nov 20 - National Commission on Product Safety established
> Dec - Beatles release "Magical Mystery Tour"
> Dec - 486,000 American troops in Vietnam, of the 15,000 killed to
> date, 60% died in 1967.
> Dec - "Stop the Draft" movement organized by 40 antiwar groups,
> nationwide protests ensue.
> Dec 5 - 1000 antiwar protesters try to close NYC induction center.
> 585 arrested including Allen Ginsberg and Dr. Benjamin Spock
> Dec 5 - Beatles open Apple Shop in London
> Dec 8 - Otis Redding records "Dock of the Bay"
> Dec 10 - Otis Redding dies in plane crash
> Dec 22 - Owsley busted, stops making acid
> Dec 31 - Abbie Hoffman, Jerry Rubin, Paul Krassner, Dick Gregory, &
> friends pronounce themselves "Yippies"
>

> 1968
> Jan 16 - Youth International Party (Yippies) founded
> Jan 18 - Eartha Kitt visiting LBJ at White House speaks out against
> the war
> Jan 22 - B-52 carrying H-bomb crashes in Greenland
> Jan 23 - USS Pueblo seized by Korea
> Jan 31 - Viet Cong launch Tet Offensive
> Feb - Timothy Leary evicted from Millbrook house
> Feb - Beatles go to India to visit Maharishi Mahesh Yogi at
Rishikesh
> on the Ganges river.  Mia Farrow, Donovan follow.
> Feb 8 - George Wallace announce candidacy for President on law and
> order platform
> Mar 12 - Eugene McCarthy wins 42% of New Hampshire vote in
> presidential primary
> Mar 16 - My Lai massacre 200 - 500 Vietnamese villagers killed
> Mar 16 - Robert F. Kennedy announces candidacy for President
> Mar 31 - LBJ announces decision not to run again and offers partial
> Vietnam bombing halt
> Apr 4 - Martin Luther King shot and killed in Memphis
> Apr - The week following Martin Luther King Jr.'s murder sees black
> uprisings in 125 cities across the U.S.
> Apr 6 - Oakland Police ambush Black Panthers. Eldridge Cleaver
> arrested with a bullet-shattered leg. Bobby Hutton shot and killed.
> Apr 8 - Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs established (DEA)
> Apr 11 - LBJ signs civil rights bill banning housing discrimination
> Apr 11 - Major call-up of reserves for duty in Vietnam
> Apr 14 - Love-in at Malibu Canyon, Calif.
> Apr 15 - Start of Spring Mobilization against the Vietnam war
> Apr 23 - SDS lead students take over 5 buildings at Colombia Univ
for
> a week. 700 arrested
> Apr 24 - 300 Black students occupy admin. building at Boston Univ.
> demanding black studies and financial aid
> Apr 25 - Paul Horn records in the Taj Mahal
> Apr 29 - The rock musical HAIR opened on Broadway at the Biltmore
Theater
> May 10 - Vietnam peace talks begin in Paris
> Jun 3 - Andy Warhol shot by woman
> Jun 5 - Bobby Kennedy assassinated by Sirhan Sirhan moments after
> winning California primary.
> Jun 14 - Dr. Benjamin Spock convicted of conspiracy to abet draft
evasion
> July 1 - Nuclear nonproliferation treaty signed by 61 nations
> Aug 1 - 541,000 U.S. Troops in Vietnam
> August 3, 1968 - The first Newport Pop Festival in Costa Mesa,
> California to an audience of over 100,000 people. Performers include
> Steppenwolf, Jefferson Airplane, Sonny & Cher, Tiny Tim, the Byrds,
> Iron Butterfly, The Grateful Dead and Eric Burdon & the Animals.
> Aug 8 - Nixon and Agnew nominated during Miami riots
> Aug 20 - Soviets invade Czechoslovakia
> August 25-29 - Democratic Convention in Chicago  demonstrations &
> police riot 10,000 +/- demonstrators vs.  11,000 Chicago police;
6,000
> National Guard; 7,500 U.S. army troops; and 1,000 FBI, CIA &  other
> services agents  (Humphrey nominated on platform supporting the war)
> Aug 28 - Humphrey and Muskie nominated amid violent antiwar protests
> in Chicago.  Bystanders and press also beaten by police
> Oct 18 - John & Yoko Busted
> Nov - First "Whole Earth Catalog" published by Stewart Brand.
> Nov 5 - Nixon elected President, Spiro T. Agnew, VP
> Nov 6 - Student Strike at SF State
>

> 1969
> Jan 28 - Santa Barbara, Ca. oil well blowout
> Feb - Massive strike at U.C. Berkeley for ethnic studies
> Feb 11 - 200 students smash computers with axes & set computer
center
> on fire during sit-in protesting prof's racism at St. George
Williams
> College, Montreal
> Feb 13 - 33 students arrested at admin bldg sit-in at Univ of Mass.
> Feb 18 - Students seize building and  boycott started at Howard
University
> Feb 24 - Students occupy Admin bldg at Penn State
> Feb 27 - Police charge student picket lines, club and arrest two
> Chicano leaders at U.C. Berkeley
> Feb 27 - Thousands rampage thru nine buildings at U of Wisconsin,
> Madison over black enrollments
> Mar 12 - Paul McCartney marries Linda Eastman
> Mar 20 - John & Yoko fly to Gibraltar,  get married then fly to
> Amsterdam for one week "lie-in" for peace
> Mar 20 - James Earl Ray sentenced to 99 years for murder of Martin
> Luther King Jr.
> Apr - 543,000 US troops now in Vietnam
> Apr 4 - Smothers Brothers tv show canceled because it is too
controversial
> Apr 9 - 300 Harvard students led by SDS seize Univ Hall and evict
> eight deans
> Apr 10 - Police called into Harvard, 37 injured, 200 arrested
> Apr 11 - Start of 3 day student strike at Harvard
> Apr 22 - Harvard faculty votes to create black studies program &
>   give students vote in selection of its faculty
> Apr 22 - City College of NY closed after black & Puerto Rican
students
> lock selves inside asking higher minority enrollment
> Apr 23 - Sirhan Sirhan sentenced to death for murder of Bobby
Kennedy
> Apr 24 - U.S. B-52s launch biggest attack on North Vietnam. Protests
> in 40 cities
> May 15 - Hippies in People's Park in Berkeley attacked by police and
> Nat'l Guard
> July - Stephen Gaskin starts The Farm commune in Tennessee.
> July 3 - Brian Jones of Rolling Stones dies
> July 14 - Easy Rider premieres
> July 20 - Men walk on the Moon
> July 27 - Police raid on gay bar in Greenwich Village, NYC results
in
> Stonewall Uprising. 2000 protesters battle 400 police, start of Gay
> Liberation Movement
> Aug - Blind Faith forms, with Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker from Cream
> and Steve Winwood from Traffic.
> Aug 9 - Sharon Tate & LaBiancas found murdered by Charles Manson &
Crew
> August 15 - 17 WOODSTOCK Festival 500,000 people gathered for three
> days of music and peace that changed the world
> Aug 24 - Movie 'Alice's Restaurant released with Arlo Guthrie
> Aug 26 - FBI reports 98% increase in marijuana arrests from 1966 -
1968
> Sept 3 - Ho Chi Min, leader of North Vietnam, dies
> Sept 24 - Chicago Eight trial begins. Tom Hayden, Abbie Hoffman,
Jerry
> Rubin et. al charged with conspiracy to incite riots
> Oct - Is Paul dead? Beatles controversy
> Oct 8-11 - The Weatherman "Days of Rage"
> Oct 15 - Peace Day. 500,000 protesters nationwide. First Vietnam
> Moratorium
> Oct 21 - Jack Kerouac, beat author of "On the Road" dies.
> Oct 30 - Supreme Court orders desegregation nationwide
> Nov 15 - 500,000 + march in Wash. DC for peace. Largest antiwar
rally
> in U.S. history. Speakers: McCarthy, McGovern, Coretta King, Dick
> Gregory, Leonard Bernstein. Singers: Arlo Guthrie, Pete Seeger,
Peter,
> Paul, & Mary, John Denver, Mitch Miller, touring cast of Hair
> 1969
> Nov 17 - First round of SALT talks in Helsinki
> Nov 20 - 78 American Indians seize Alcatraz Island and demand its
return
> Nov 20 - DDT use banned in residential areas
> Nov 24 - Lt. William Calley charged with murdering 102 So.
Vietnamese
> civilians at My Lai
> Nov 25 - President Nixon orders all US germ warfare stockpiles
destroyed
> Dec - Over 100,000 US troops dead or injured in Vietnam.
> Dec 1 - First draft lottery since W.W.II held in NYC
> Dec 8 - Raid on Black Panther headquarters in LA - four hour shoot-
out
> Dec 24 - Rolling Stones "Altamont" concert erupts in violence, one
> spectator killed
>

> 1970
> January 1 - Nixon signs National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)
> Feb - Timothy Leary sentenced to 10 years for Texas/Mex marijuana
bust
> Feb 4 - Riot in Isla Vista, Calif.  protesting Chicago verdicts
> Feb 4 - President Nixon proposes environmental cleanup - EPA
> Feb 18 - Chicago Seven acquitted of conspiracy charges
> Feb 19 - Chicago Seven Trial verdict: Dellinger, Davis, Hayden,
> Hoffman, & Rubin found guilty of crossing state lines to incite riot
> Feb 19 - Explosions in 3 office buildings in NY; and in Calif; Wash;
> Maryland; Mich, possibly done by the Weathermen
> Feb 25 - Isla Vista Riots, Santa Barbara Bank of America bombed
> Feb 26 - U.S. Army discontinues surveillance of civilian
> demonstrations and files of demonstrators
> Mar 6 - Three Weathermen blow themselves up in Greenwich Village, NY
> Apr 1 - Cigarette advertising banned on radio and TV
> Apr 7 - Referring to student unrest, Ronald Reagan, Gov. of
Calif: "If
> it takes a bloodbath, let's get it over with."
> Apr 10 - Paul McCartney announces breakup of Beatles
> Apr 22 - First Earth Day.  Millions participate
> Apr 30 - Nixon sends troops into Cambodia
> May 4 - Four College Students Killed by National Guard at Kent State
> University, Ohio
> May 5 - Nuclear nonproliferation treaty takes effect
> May 8 - Construction workers attack antiwar demonstrators, Wall
St., NY