From: "Hagen J. Holtz"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:50:38 +0100
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Earth turns around the sun not the other way: (How MMY sold a diamond (TM) for a handful of spinach...)

      Even if you may consider me as somehow  arrogant, but I allow myself to tell you that I would like to open your eyes a little bit now. First of all I have already been an independent mind before, while and after having started with TM. My master is my master but he is not my mental guardian or nurse. I am a free man and not a mental slave. This as first preliminary vedic ideal to be mentioned and herewith postulated.

Instead of asking, where Maharishi has been stating this or that the question would be much more intelligently raised by asking, how Maharishi would probably react in case you challenged his intellect by some tricky problematics.

You may remember the commentary on the Bhagavadgita, where Maharishi described the necessity to challenge one's master in order to make him set free more knowledge. (By the way this challenge according to my opinion is not being taking place sufficiently by his disciples).

Now after this introductory citation I come back to the main general point by whose solution your fundamental questioning of authority makes most of the consecutive doubtfully interposed questions at least formally obsolete.

I myself took the opportunity to challenge Maharishi several times in my life in direct contact, in order to get the validation of that answer, which I have already been giving to myself through mere setting free of inherent CI (= Creative Intelligence). This is the self-evident purpose and result of this spiritual practice (self-unfolding in double sense of the word).

In one case I brought my challenge to the peak point, because I dared to doubt about an old-established model even, which Maharishi had launched as one of his most fundamental ones. The reaction of the master gave me the proof that it was worth to herald him at such high esteem, because his answer was clear, modest and onepointed; I told him that the bubble-diagram must be wrong, because transcending according to the law of irreversability of processes in nature dictates the mind to walk in one direction only, and that is from Atman (point value of inifinity = smaller than the smallest) to Brahman (expanded value of infinity = bigger than the biggest). In fact smaller than the smallest is essentially the same as bigger than the biggest. This is the only reason, why the mind is enabled to transcend, that is to say just by rescuing itself in the most expanded value in order to be able to come back to the "starting point" of all man√≠festation. So I said to Maharishi, "Transcending is a process of constant engrossment of the mantra until it reaches its most expanded value and such the mind alone can find back to its source." Without hesitation Maharishi agreed. It was in late summer 1979 at the Golden Hall at Seelisberg-Switzerland. He literrally said to me in presence of the audience: "You are absolutely right in what you say. We just held this model as a working model for practical reasons only."

So thinking by yourself is not only allowed but vital necessary, as already the great philosopher Immanuel Kant found out. His maxims of human thinking (= emancipation) were:

1.  Think !
2.  Think by yourself !
3.  Think consecutively !
4.  Think up to the end !

Very often I have to doubt, whether meditators - in their tendency to regressive development - have ever come beyond stage "2". Whereas the majority of the population at average moves at least somwhere in between stage 2 and 3. A genuine spiritual seeker is expetced to range somewhere between thinking level 3 and 4.

Maharishi has never taught to surrender in a non-critical manner. This are old-fashioned concepts out of the moth's chest of topsy-turby theories on Yoga, where constantly cause and effect got fatalistically turned upside down (best example: "concentration is the input of meditation" even though it is the output of the interaction of the three gunas in the mind (= samyama, which leads to the state of "ekagrata parinama" or constant flow of the mind in one thought (= what is meant by the real meaning of the word "concentration"). And this again is identical with the state of at least savikalpa-samadhi). Samadhi is by the way also a constant process and not a static state, the same way as diving is always going along with some effort to be able to stay underneath the surface and not a static notion, staying at one spot without further invested dynamics.

Now further to your questions as inserts;