On 10/31/2014 06:36 AM, awoelfleba...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife] wrote:

I've bought some packages of chocolate candies earlier this week. So, I'm ready for the kids to visit the house. We'll find out tomorrow night.

What happens if you don't give them a treat, do they still egg your house or something?

When I lived in England back in 1969-1973 no one recognized Halloween. This was highly discouraging and disappointing for me as I was still of trick or treating age at the time. But have things changed at all there in terms of observing this wonderfully perverse trick or treating tradition?

Toy shops try and ramp up the enthusiasm and kids do like it but you hardly ever see people going door to door, maybe just round their friends.

Looking at my FB page it seems to be much more an adult thing, unless some of the girls I know have lost the knack of putting on their make up. As if we need another excuse to get drunk! But most of us think it's another commercial invasion from the US, and one that ignores the real reason for the holiday at that, but if I had kids myself they'd get to have a costume and a party if they wanted it though, and probably a bonfire as I really like those.

Halloween seems to have always been what it is - a great way for the ghoulish and sweet-toothed in us to take advantage of being able to behave badly or at least in ways we wish we could all year round. I personally love the iconography of it, especially the older, vintage images. I festoon my house with these Victorian era items and love the macabre.

My favourite bit of the whole thing is The Simpsons Halloween specials they're showing on TV every night.

Yes, I have seen one or two of those when I actually get in front of a TV set which is, nowadays, never. They're great.

Well, according to the NextDoor.com Halloween map there are all of three households offering treats on my block. But that only accounts for people who are on NextDoor.com on my block and who utilized the map option.