The issue touched on in the linked article about those who return from a
retreat (or a rounding course) to quotidian reality and find the adjustment
hard to make actually raises an interesting question: the reason why the vast
majority of humans pacing our city streets are *not* awakened, enlightened
beings is that their low-level consciousness is perfectly adapted to the
conditions of modern life. We need to shut out so much from awareness because
otherwise we'd be inundated with signals we haven't time to process in our
busy, anxious, over-stressed world. Perhaps those who hit the bottle or the
tranquiliser pills are on to something . . .