Do we really have much evidence for such suppositions? Mental decline can
happen to anyone. Maharishi did seem to me to be a bit out of it in his last
years. Some participants in the Washington D.C. course in 2006 told me he spoke
on the phone but was certainly not himself as in the past, and they did not
allow people to ask him questions.

 What is the evidence that stressors cause dementia?

 There seem to be four basic kinds of dementia and the causes are medically
unknown (although vascular dementia seems related to reduced blood flow
resulting from vascular disease), so what specific knowledge do you have that
fills in what researchers have not been able to discover?

 1. Alzheimer's disease
 2. Lewy body dementia
 3. Vascular dementia
 4. Frontotemporal dementia

 While the practises that prequel 'enlightenment' have some welcome side
effects such as less churning of the mind, less wandering attention, and a
peculiar sort of silence, so far I have not seen any evidence of remarkable
mental health among older meditators, though I would think that psychosomatic
effects on disease would be greatly reduced, but more organic problems related
to ageing would be much as they were. I know people with various kinds of
conditions, including myself, and going on toward 50 years of meditation for us
has not resolved these issues. Add to that the first generation of TM
meditators has now passed away for the most part.

 Good morning - A couple of observations -- First, enlightened people only
think when they want to, or need to. That endless loop of thoughts, running
mental energy in a circle, so common in waking state, is just about absent in
an enlightened state. Lots of people refer to a state of grace, accompanying
enlightenment, and this is the most significant feature of that, far fewer
thoughts; silence, moving. So, a lot less wear and tear on the mental
machinery. The mind as a result, tends to stay sharp and fresh, ever bathed in
a deep, soothing silence, the arrow always all the way back on the bow. Also,
an enlightened state brings with it, a balanced intellect, so there are not the
stressors present. that cause dementia; the mind is not continuously trying to
be somewhere else. It remains balanced. So, I find it highly unlikely that
anyone enlightened, would be a candidate for dementia (no matter how much that
might feed the wish fulfillment of others).

              • ... nablusoss1008
            • ... nablusoss1008