I suspect that folks were very disappointed that like some gurus MMY didn't stay sharp in mind until he decided it was time to bail and "drop the body." That's a lot of work but the whole thing about yoga is learning to control the autonomic nervous system and keep aging away. Some are good at and others not. Higher states of consciousness come as a by-product.