Hey Curtis,

 That was pretty funny.  I think you got him down pretty well.

 I would say he certainly showed the effects of old age.

 As to what that says about enlightenment, or his enlightenment, I can say.

 Really, I don't think it says much.

 People get old and they get cranky.

 And crankiness is what I saw.

 Not really seeing a connection to enlightenment on that basis.

 Too bad there's not a circuit for MMY impersonations.  I think you'd score.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <curtisdeltablues@...> wrote :

 I don't get it? No, Curtis, I get it, EXACTLY.

M: No you obviously don't. The guys trademark was his gift of gab. He was the
giggling guru to the press. He could charm the pants off of any skeptical
reporter with witty repartee. I watched him deal with the press in person and
on tape approximately 2,458 hours. He was so good at it he taught his teachers
how to be good at it. He NEVER dealt with a question on the level of the
question. I could have read a transcript of this interaction and see the guy
was in over his head.

Reporter (set up by Bevan's idiotic statement that he believed Maharishi could
fly):
Can you fly Maharishi?

Young Maharishi: Giggles, giggles,giggles, flying is the birthright of every
man. Every man and woman must fly up to their highest potential, and it is so
easy. Just a few minutes morning and evening and everyone will be flying so
high that the world will experience peace and enlightenment for thousands of
years to come.

Reporter follow-up not realizing who he is dealing with: I am asking if YOU can
fly Maharishi.

Fighting form Maharishi with his warm up towel around his head, dancing in the
ring on his tip toes while shadow boxing with golden gloves on:

M: (Now hysterically laughing) What I can do is not the message. My message is
what everyone in the world can do, fly up to perfect health, full mental
potential, and world peace. We don't teach in terms of what one man can do, we
think for the whole world. And the whole world needs to fly up to
transcendental meditation morning and evening and we will have a better world
and the world's problems will fly away. (Now he is squirting lassie out of his
nose laughing while almost falling off the couch.)

Old Mr. Wilson (Dennis the Menace reference) Maharishi (screeching): Why are
you wasting my time. I don't have time. My time is short and I don't have much
of it. Who knows what time it is. Does anybody really know what time it is?
(Chicago reference) Take him away, throw him in the dungeons. Guards, guards,
where are my WYMS? Are we in Seelisberg? Who stole my hair?

and scene.

I saw him physically fail through the years. OK, he has a body. I saw them
wheel him out for puja where he looked blind and very confused. But this
interview for someone who knows the guy as well as any teacher was a complete
contradiction to the field of consciousness being at the ground of creation and
beyond the physical. He was just another old guy, too confused to be out in
public and sadly unable to handle questions. Handling questions was his life.
So it just strikes me that as much as they tried to keep him under wraps, he
was his own counter evidence in the end.

J: Why not just go kick a dog next time,

M: Because I don't want to hurt a living thing. Maharishi was a public figure,
he made a fortune on selling perfect health and full mental potential, and he
is dead Jim.

J: or ruminate on your less than spectacular success? What a loser.

M: The tourettes troll twin. Your fantasy of how I am doing is not a substitute
for reasoned argument Mr. spectacular success guy.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <curtisdeltablues@...> wrote :

 His health suffered, but this inflammatory nonsense from Curtis, is just that.

M: You don't get it because you were never around the guy. His diminished
capacity was a shock to me. Trying to label it inflammatory nonsense doesn't
make the problem go away. It isn't his poor health I am commenting on, it is
his mental health. The guy was whipped. His brain was whipped. If his
consciousness was independent from his brain functioning this should not be the
case.

 "What struck me because I have spent quite a bit of time around old people in
the last few years and it seemed obvious that Maharishi was clearly suffering
from the diminished capacity of age and very likely dementia. He was not well."

 Um, have you ever actually spent hours at a time with each resident of a
nursing home, as in worked there, changing diapers, serving meals, doing bed
checks? I have, and the thing that clearly distinguishes Maharishi's response,
from that of someone suffering from dementia, is that Maharishi, despite some
irritability, retains his focus. The same cannot be said of nursing home
patients, with dementia.

 I don't think he retained any focus, it was awful to watch from my seat. He
was rambling a lot in the last few years, and repeating himself. Not to mention
making less sense than usual (I never thought he was much of a speaker) and his
hands were shaking a lot too.

 The responses to this among my fellow workers at the academy were many and
various. Denial that there was anything wrong was the principle one, beliefs
that the amount of stress in the world has wearing him out (or similar attempts
to fit it into the "knowledge" so that it wasn't a problem) came a close
second. And a few were shocked but didn't say anything as any health problems
would contradict everything he'd been telling everyone his whole life.

 I was angry, because I honestly thought that someone in his condition should
not be allowed to appear like that in public without help or any sort of
explanation, what were they thinking over in Vlodrop? I thought he should just
be propped up in bed on a silk pillow with a big box of chocolates. Forced
retirement and let the devotees run it on their own.

 Quite a stretch, from you, with a little cherry-picked "evidence" as garnish.
Seems very similar to the sort of things you have been accusing Nabby of
lately, doesn't it? I guess fairness only counts, when *you* are the target.
---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <curtisdeltablues@...> wrote :

 I was struck by the posted interview between the Aussie and the Maharishi
through closed circuit TV where Maharishi was unable to field a question about
whether or not he could actually fly by going into "you kids get off of my
lawn" mode. What struck me because I have spent quite a bit of time around old
people in the last few years and it seemed obvious that Maharishi was clearly
suffering from the diminished capacity of age and very likely dementia. He was
not well.

This observation only matters because at the heart of a lot of the premises in
TM is that the state of consciousness in enlightenment transcends the
functioning of the brain. This is the premise on which we have claims about
witnessing deep sleep for example, and all the conjectural nonsense surrounding
what happens after a "conscious" enlightened death. It is stated in different
ways as a premise underneath many claims about how a person functions in
enlightenment.

We saw Maharishi, who in his salad days would have gigglingly swatted away such
a direct question calling him on an outrageous claim, completely flummoxed and
left with a broom in his hand chasing the local scamps out of his rutabaga
patch.

How can it be that "consciousness development" can have an effect on the person
after their brain stops functioning and rots, when it couldn't even weather the
storm of old age for the supposedly most developed person, Maharishi himself?
Apparently consciousness development has the same impact as imagination
development when it comes  to being able to resist the ravages of age. Brain
functioning trumps all imagination of it being otherwise. And the difference
between Maharishi in old age and my own father can only be seen clearly in the
zeros in their bank accounts.

      • [Fairf... fleetwood_macnche...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
        • [F... curtisdeltabl...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
          • ... wgm4u