As I understand it, the working conditions for those involved in making
reusable grocery bags is deplorable. Make sure yours are made in the USA.

 Additionally, unwashed canvas bags might be a serious disease vector, due to
the fact that multiple people slide their (unwashed?) hands in and out of your
bags and other people's dirty bags - all day long. They need to be washed
frequently to be safe.. which probably just shifts the environmental damage
somewhere else.  I don't use them for this reason.

 I'm hoping stores will switch to a new form of "bioplastic" bags made from
plant starch (corn, potato) that can be composted without special treatment.
The currently available versions, don't compost easily outside of a commercial
composter.