 Ann, I'd say it depends on your intention, esp your general intention in
living. Do you want to benefit yourself and others? Or do you want to do harm?
As for the rest, I think it's pretty simple. If someone is harming us and won't
stop, then we remove ourselves from their life. If someone is harming others
and won't stop, then we put them in jail until they can be rehabilitated.

 Sometimes jail is not possible and I personally don't think jail cures anyone
of anything, in fact, jail mostly makes bad guys badder. And of course you are
talking about a criminal level of toxicity when you talk about jail. Most of
the toxicity is not something you could incarcerate someone for. I'm talking
garden variety toxicity.

 Here online, if someone says something untrue, we say what is true. If someone
says something we don't agree with, we say we don't agree. If someone is a
jerk, we say we think that, ONE time. To say it over and over is imo a sign
that the name caller is projecting and or venting.

 I think a lot of the nastiness online is people venting what they are
unwilling or unable to vent about in their 3D life.

 If the asshole keeps on and on and on then one time is often not enough in
terms of responding to it or attempting to deflect the untruths or negativity.
When someone keeps farting in the room you just can't get away with opening the
window once.

 Again, my opinion.

 Ditto.