in contrast to puja, which may include image worship and devotional practices
non-Vedic in origin.

Puja is non-vedic in origin????

________________________________
 From: "anartax...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 9:21 AM
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: More Movement BS to get rich

Yagyas and Indulgences

Yajña: (Sanskrit: 'sacrifice, offering'), in Hinduism, worship based on rites
prescribed in the earliest scriptures of ancient India, the Vedas, in contrast
to puja, which may include image worship and devotional practices non-Vedic in
origin.

A yajña is always purposeful, even though the aim may be as general as
sustaining the natural order of the universe. Correct performance of the ritual
and recitation of the necessary mantras, or sacred formulas, is considered
essential; and the performer and the objects employed must all be in a high
state of purity. Such ritual requirements gave rise to the professional class
of priests, the modern Brahmans, who are still required to officiate at all
important public yajñas.

                                                     ——Encyclopædia Britannica

Indugence: a distinctive feature of the penitential system of both the Western
medieval and the Roman Catholic church that granted full or partial remission
of the punishment of sin. The granting of indulgences was predicated on two
beliefs. First, in the sacrament of penance it did not suffice to have the
guilt (culpa) of sin forgiven through absolution alone; one also needed to
undergo temporal punishment because one had offended Almighty God. Second,
indulgences rested on belief in purgatory, a place in the next life where one
could continue to cancel the accumulated debt of one's sins, another Western
medieval conception not shared by the Eastern Greek church.

>From the early church onward, bishops could reduce or dispense with the
>rigours of penances, but indulgences emerged in only the 11th and 12th
>centuries when the idea of purgatory took widespread hold and when the popes
>became the activist leaders of the reforming church. In their zeal, they
>promoted the militant reclamation of once-Christian lands—first of Iberia in
>the Reconquista, then of the Holy Land in the Crusades—offering 'full
>remission of sins,' the first indulgences, as inducements to participation.

...To clarify all these issues, the Scholastic theologians of the 12th and 13th
centuries worked out a fully articulated theory of penance. It consisted of
three parts: contrition, confession, and satisfaction. The debt of forgiven sin
could be reduced through the performance of good works in this life
(pilgrimages, charitable acts, and the like) or through suffering in purgatory.
Indulgences could be granted only by popes or, to a lesser extent, archbishops
and bishops as ways of helping ordinary people measure and amortize their
remaining debt. 'Plenary,' or full, indulgences cancelled all the existing
obligation, while 'partial' indulgences remitted only a portion of it. People
naturally wanted to know how much debt was forgiven (just as modern students
want to know exactly what they need to study for examinations), so set periods
of days, months, and years came gradually to be attached to different kinds of
partial indulgences.

This highly complicated theological system, which was framed as a means to help
people achieve their eternal salvation, easily lent itself to misunderstanding
and abuse as early as the 13th century, much sooner than is usually thought. A
principal contributing factor was money. Paralleling the rise of indulgences,
the Crusades, and the reforming papacy was the economic resurgence of Europe
that began in the 11th century. Part of this tremendous upsurge was the
phenomenon of commutation, through which any services, obligations, or goods
could be converted into a corresponding monetary payment. Those eager to gain
plenary indulgences, but unable to go on pilgrimage to Jerusalem, wondered
whether they might perform an alternative good work or make an equivalent
offering to a charitable enterprise—for example, the building of a leprosarium
or a cathedral. Churchmen allowed such commutation, and the popes even
encouraged it, especially Innocent III (reigned
 1198–1216) in his various Crusading projects.From the 12th century onward the
process of salvation was therefore increasingly bound up with money. Reformers
of the 14th and 15th centuries frequently complained about the 'sale' of
indulgences by pardoners. And as the papacy weakened in this period, secular
governments increasingly allowed the granting of indulgences only in return for
a substantial share of the yield, often as much as two-thirds. The princes got
most of the money, and the popes got most of the blame.

                                                     ——Encyclopædia Britannica

If the laws of nature are really laws of nature, they cannot be interfered
with, they operate impersonally and uniformly, so what's the point of the
attempt to modify what cannot be changed? Yagyas and Indulgences are a paid for
scam that supports a priestly class whose only function is to administrate what
happens automatically, absolutely; in other words they get paid to do nothing
but pretend they are doing something. If you like to go to plays, movies, where
actors pretend to be other people doing often remarkable fantastic things that
no one would do in real life, and you enjoy paying money for this, you can do
the same thing with yagyas and indulgences, pay money to pretend something
imaginary is happening that will profoundly affect your life and the world.
Except it doesn't really.

Don't forget the "kavach" - an amulet that is reputed to ward off negative
influences. I don't know if the Movement officially sells them, but I know some
TM True Believers here in SC that wear them religiously. Check this crap out:
"Dreaded diseases like cancer, heart attack,
kidney failure, diabetes, asthama, paralysis, etc. are caused by severe
afflictions to badly placed weak planets. The natal chart provides
advance insight in one's vulnerability to such diseases.  The experience
and feedback shows that astrological remedial measures are likely to
help persons with such natal influences to save themselves of such
diseases. While the medicine systems treat the astrological remedies
prevent. This is the biggest difference. It is like an insurance. If one
sees its utility it costs nothing in comparison to the treatment if one
contracts a dreaded disease."
http://www.jyotishremedies121.com/pokavach.htm

"Special Power Kavach" from eminent Indian Vedic Astrolo...
Kavach
View on www.jyotishremedies1... Preview by Yahoo