Salyavin,

 Depending on one's karma, death could be just like transcending.   The
individual thought vanishes just like in meditation.  The Indians had an
appropriate word by calling death as Mahasamadhi.

 If you were suffering from terminal brain cancer would you really want to see
it through to the end as your mind, vision, hearing went away?

 At the risk of getting what I wish for, I think dying is going to be really
interesting. I'd like to be awake when it's happening at least, it's only gonna
happen once.

 Maybe we'll see the sort of "after-life" hallucinations that get reported for
a while before the lights go out for the last time. Maybe something else like
the words "Game Over" appearing and we find out we are really huge toadoids
playing a computer game in swamp on Zeta Reticuli. Maybe we all go to heaven
even, that'll be a turn up!