From: "Bhairitu noozg...@sbcglobal.net [FairfieldLife]"
<FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>

The moral dilemma of our times though is that our medical practices may allow
us to extend life when someone is terminally ill beyond where they may have
died if they didn't do anything about the illness.

Why on earth would that be an issue? Cuz it's already true. I wrote an article
today about statins, used to lower overly high cholesterol levels. Only 20
years ago, if you had high cholesterol and certain types of heart disease, you
had at most a 10-year lifespan to look forward to before you died. Today, with
the use of statins, you'd have a normal lifespan to look forward to.

I've forgotten the actual figures (I looked them up once), but the average
human lifespan today is about three times as long as it was during so-called
golden Vedic era.

There is no such thing as "how long you're supposed to live." There is only how
long you live.

On 11/06/2014 08:40 AM, fleetwood_macnche...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife] wrote:

>Yeah, I have been aware of this also, that if suicide is done, the person must
>wait out their karma. It is not a moral issue, but one of complicating one's
>life, by destroying the physical vessel. The lesson learned is that we cannot
>ever be destroyed, and if a suicide, the lesson is learned, while imprisoned.
>
>---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <noozguru@...> wrote :
>

>I recall Charlie Lutes take on the subject that though suicide is frowned on
>in the yogic traditions he could see doing when facing prolonged agony like
>from a slow death by cancer.  In the eastern traditions including Buddhism
>they believe that if you commit suicide you get stuck in some "middle world".
>
>The published suicide mantra is of the maran class and
                  is also an
                  Agni mantra.

>On 11/06/2014 04:27 AM, Share Long sharelong60@... [FairfieldLife] wrote:
>

>>John and turq, what got me rethinking all this is that idea of life full of
>>possibilities to enjoy. Is it healthy to give up on that? Is it honoring,
>>turq of life itself to give up on the possibility of joy and love? And turq,
>>is not suicide also often driven by FEAR? Since you're using presence of fear
>>as a measuring stick.
>>

>>At this moment I'm thinking that what's healthiest is to act from a place of
>>embodied settledness rather than fear. And we can't really predict what
>>action might thus result. And can we really legislate about people's states
>>of being?!
>>

>>________________________________

other words, it's a Big Invisible Daddy In The Sky thang, Share. If you do
something He don't like, He slap yo ass.  :-)

>>JohnR's position on all of this is just a retread of that same old familiar F
>>E A R that has driven religious thought for centuries: "'Morality' consists
>>of doing what *we* say to do during your life so that Bad Things don't happen
>>to you after your death."
>>

>>________________________________

correct answer is that one should follow one's conscience to the best of his or
her ability.  But one should follow the principle that the end does not justify
the means.  IMO, ending one's own life through suicide is not following the
principle above.

>>---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <sharelong60@...> wrote :
>>

>>John,
I'm not sure that suicide is always in violation of natural law. What makes you
think that?

>>________________________________

we violate natural laws, IMO the law of karma will take effect and could
detrimentally affect our families and society that allow violence or suicide to
occur.

>>---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <sharelong60@...> wrote :
>>

>>John,when I think about how awful were the last 3 years of my step Dad's
>>life, and more than once he expressed the wish to be dead, I think suicide is
>>sometimes the right thing to do. I think unnecessary suffering is morally
>>wrong.
>>

>>________________________________

raised a good question.  But it is considered a higher principle that the end
does not justify the means.  In other words, one must act licitly to make a
moral act.  You cannot kill another person or group of persons in order to
obtain political power--which we can see the evil effects that are happening in
Iraq and Syria.  Similarly, the same principle applies to taking one's own life.

>>---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <noozguru@...> wrote :
>>

>>If
you were suffering from terminal brain cancer would you really want to see it
through to the end as your mind, vision, hearing went away?

>>>A woman just committed suicide with the aid of doctors in Oregon.  Is this
>>>justifiable in your own thinking?
>>>

>>>Vatican
thinker
brands US woman's suicide 'wicked'

>>>   Vatican
thinker
brands US woman's suicide 'wicke...
>>>A senior Vatican official has condemned as "wicked" the assisted suicide of
>>>Brittany Maynard, an American woman suffering from terminal brain cancer.
>>>&...
>>>
>>>(Message over
                                                          64 KB,
                                                          truncated)