--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "brahmachari108" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Wondering if anybody has visited major temples or done yagyas in India and
> what
> experiences were?

Jaya Guru Datta

By the Grace of my Guru, I was fortunate to make the pilgrimage to Rameshwaram
in early
2002. It was amazing to be in this place that I had heard about for so many
years. I had a
friend (from India) as a guide traveling with me. Upon opening the hotel room
door and
looking out at 4:30am, waves of people were walking towards the temple.
I sponsored a huge yaga which took 3-4 hours. 1 1/2 of those hours I sat on the
doorstep
to the sanctum sanctorum with nothing between me and Rameshwara lingam but the
priests performing the ceremony. Great darshan. Also the sand lingam that Sita
formed is
there.
The temple is huge! Beautiful architecture. A white elephant, Bhavani who gives
blessings.
A cow that doesn't stop giving milk. 21 different teerthas of sweet water in
which to bathe
ritually before pujas. Mind you this is a small island surrounded by salt water
only and it
has these miraculous wells from 21 different sources. Each one tasted different.
I saw maybe one other caucasion while there. Needless to say, a six foot plus
white guy
with white hair and a beard wearing a dhoti created a stir.
It was magical!
That was my purification before travelling to my Guru's ashram in Mysore where
I was to
experience other temples He has built.  Mahashivaratri and other rituals that
were icing on
the cake. Since then, hundreds of Ganapathi homas, pujas, etc. Life changed
dramatically
since that trip.
It is my experience that these yagas, pujas, whatever you want to call them,
should not be
done with any expectation of results. It is the act itself which is the gift,
and Sat Chit
Ananda alone is the benefit. Accordingly when they are done with some specific
desire, it
may take many more births for Nature to fulfill those.

That's the short story. Other temples and great experiences since.

Sri Guru Datta

Hanuman