This is one of the reasons we should have normalized relations with
Cuba.

Cubans just love their pork: Pork with rice, pulled pork and beans,
Cuban pork sandwiches, just about porco con everything imaginable.

At an average nationwide salary of $20.00/month, Cubans would not
mind to have the smell, disease, and general overall discomfort of
living in proximity to pig farms if we Americans could ante-up, say,
an extra $5.00 or $10.00 a month premium to any and all Cubans who
would have to live near or work at a pig farm.

Virtually all U.S. pig farms (or at least those that would endanger
lives, housing values or standards of living, such as the ones being
contemplated for Jefferson County) could be relocated to the Island
of Cuba (of course, there should be a 100-mile buffer zone between
any pig farm and Guantanamo Bay...we don't want either our soldiers
or our non-pork-eating Al-Quada prisoners put out).

A side-benefit to our pig-removal? Peace!  Better relations between
the Commies and ourselves!

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> JFAN has been very active over the last month. As you may know, we
have
> approved four grants in the Jefferson County community, three to
help in the
> legal fight against the intrusive and harmful effects of hog
factories
> (CAFOs) and one to encourage sustainable, non-intrusive farming
practices in
> Jefferson County. We are now in the process of raising additional
money to
> fund these grants and others.
>
> One grant is to the Dick Simmons family. Dick is retired and was
on the
> Jefferson County Board of Supervisors for many years.
Unfortunately, he is
> now battling cancer. His son Tim, who is fighting in Iraq, lives
even closer
> to the CAFO.  Without any warning, they have watched as a CAFO was
> constructed within a stone¹s throw of their homes and they are
devastated.
> Their homes could be seriously devalued and they will be subjected
to all
> the detriments of the hog confinement.
>
> We need to help our neighbors‹and ourselves! Won¹t you please
consider
> contributing $50.00 to $100.00. Naturally, you can do more if you
wish, or
> you may need to contribute less due to personal circumstances.
But it is
> essential that everyone becomes involved.
>
> You can make your donation to:
> Jefferson County Farmers and Neighbors, Inc.
> PO Box 811
> Fairfield, IA  52556
>
> The threat of hog factories is not a distant thought but something
that
> needs to be acted on now. More CAFOs are being planned in
Jefferson County.
> We do not want to become like our neighbor, Davis County. In 1997,
they were
> promised only 20 CAFOs would be built, but within 3 years, over 80
were
> constructed and now they have 1 million hogs!
>
> There are dozens of reasons why it may not be the right time to
give ­ but
> there is one big reason to contribute ­ your health and happiness.
>
> We hate to put it this way, but if you don¹t do anything, then you
have to
> assume nothing will be done. We all know what that would mean to
our
> cherished community.
>
>  We wish we could call you directly, but all of us involved in
JFAN are
> volunteers and time does not allow for that. If you have any
questions,
> please contact me.
>
> Best wishes for a healthy future.
>
> Robert Swanson
> JFAN Officer and Board Member    641-209-6600
> PS  We need to educate the public about the detrimental impact of
CAFOs and