--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It's the headline in Global Good News that's misleading. The
article  itself is
> clearly a report ABOUT the NYT article. That's quite different. Of
> course they've mentioned the good bits and omitted the so-so bits.
There's
> nothing wrong in that.  But the headline shouldn't have been
chosen to  make
> it appear that it was a reprinted article from the NY Times.
Perhaps  this was
> just incompetence rather than a deliberate attempt to mislead,
since the
> article itself clearly indicates that it is GGN's report about the
NYT article, not
> the article itself.

*****************

Nevertheless, I don't like this stuff at all, because it is not
useful for the TMO. Everybody who read the NYT article, a much
larger audience than GGN, saw that there were problems, like the
student who backed off because of the too-high instruction fee for
TM. So what this amounts too is one TMer telling the rest of the
choir that everything is coming up roses, but it ain't. There are
TMers who read GGN and won't go to the NYT article, and may think
that it accurately reflects the article -- this head in the sand
approach can't be useful, and I doubt if the NYT editors like this
stuff, either, because it amounts to altering the article to fit an
agenda. If you're going to have a NYT headline, you should
accurately reflect the content, or at least have a hot link to the
article: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/14/giving/14koppel.html

Bob Brigante
http://geocities.com/bbrigante

> FROM GLOBAL GOOD NEWS
> Earth's future peacemakers just need a little TM
> by Lily Koppel
> The New York Times    Translate This Article
> On 14 November 2005 The New York Times reported: Filmmaker David
> Lynch is raising money to make the Transcendental Meditation
Programme
> available to students from first grade through college. New York
Times
> reporter Lily Koppel said that Lynch wants to make the simple
mental
> technique 'a standard in every student's curriculum'. It is a joy
for Global Good
> News service to feature this news, which indicates the success of
the life-
> supporting programmes Maharishi has designed to bring fulfilment
to the field
> of world-peace.
> Although often described as 'notoriously reclusive', Lynch has
stepped into
> the public spotlight by founding the David Lynch Foundation for
> Consciousness-Based Education and has embarked on a speaking tour
> universities on the East and West Coasts. His goal is clear: 'I
really think it will
> change the world,' Lynch was quoted as saying.
> The article said that the Lynch Foundation currently has assets of
about
> $410,000. To date seven schools have each been awarded $25,000 in
seed
> money to begin programmes using the TM Technique. Two of the
charter
> schools discussed their programmes with the New York Times
reporter.
> Dr George H. Rutherford, principal of the Ideal Academy Public
Charter
> School, an elementary and middle school in Washington, DC, said of
Lynch,
> 'He is going to revolutionize education in America.'
> Dr Rutherford said that while other foundations tend to focus on
providing
> learning tools (such as computers) to students, the Transcendental
Meditation
> Programme helps develop the students themselves. 'TM helps to
reduce the
> stress that creates problems,' he was quoted as saying.
> Researchers at Maharishi University of Management in Fairfield,
Iowa, will
> measure the effects of the meditation programme on students.
> A second school to receive a $25,000 grant from the Lynch
Foundation was
> the Nataki Talibah Schoolhouse of Detroit, a public charter
school, which
> previously received TM financing from the DaimlerChrysler
Corporation Fund
> and the General Motors Foundation.
> According to the article, Nataki seventh- and eighth-grade
students who
> worked as a non-meditating control group in a 2002 study, tracking
the
> 'social-emotional competencies' of the meditating students, now
want to
> experience what their peers had.
> In addition, Koppel reported, the Lynch Foundation is partnering
with other
> philanthropists to grant another $25,000 each to the University of
Michigan,
> Yale, Emerson College and other colleges to help teach students
TM. The
> foundation is also partnering to support an American University
study on TM
> and college students.
>
> Every day Global Good News documents the rise of a better quality
of life
> dawning in the world and highlights the need for introducing
Natural Law
> based—Total Knowledge based—programmes to bring the support of
Nature
> to every individual, raise the quality of life of every society,
and create a
> lasting state of world peace.
>
> Copyright © 2005 Global Good News(sm) Service.
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "dhamiltony2k5"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Jeez, so much for their credibility. Really, they don't need to
do
> > this kind of stuff.  What are they thinking when they do it?  It
is
> > sucho blatantly dishonest thinking.  Who would actually take the
> > time to edit like this and think they were going to pull
something
> > over?  Bobby?  Mario?  Craig?  Ken?  They do TMO PR, is it their
> > thinking and hands on it? This is just really bad.  Shame on
them
> > folks that they would think like that and do it.  It is so
twisted.
> > Is it such a cult?  Evidently.
> >

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, bbrigante <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > In a typical move, Global Good News has simulated a reprint of
> > this
> > > article from the NYT, but all negative news has been deleted --

> > > specifically, the inconclusive research on TM at the U of
Michigan
> > > noted in paragraph 19, and the student who was interested in
> > > learning TM only until he found out it costs $2500 (next-to-
last
> > > paragraph in original NYT article):
> > >
> > > http://tinyurl.com/89ykj
> > >

> > > http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/14/giving/14koppel.html