There's nothing new under the sun. The techniques for TM were borrowed from other paths and traditions. They are fairly well known in India. Here's a link to the meditation section in Swami Sivanandas "Mind - It's Mysteries and Control" first published in 1935. You'll see the process is mentioned as well as a number of variants.
http://www.dlshq.org/download/mind.htm#_VPID_35

Stop thinking you got anything unique with TM. It was just fairly standard meditation lite for the masses and often given out freely by astrologers and ayurvedic practitioners. It was only new to westerners who had not ventured to India.