 From: salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 8:26 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Thumbs-down review of "Interstellar"

Had to have a read of that as I've no plans to see it, sounds spectacular and
quite a good idea. I don't actually mind if sciencey things don't make 100%
sense, I wouldn't be such a Star Trek fan if I did - you wouldn't see photon
torpedoes for instance - so I'd probably enjoy it.

What's stopped me was the memory of Inception and it's non-sensical deux ex
machina that dreams within dreams run at a slower pace the more of them there
are. As soon as they said that I knew that the plot would rely heavily on it.
Bit too convenient, my enthusiasm waned the longer it went on which is probably
the opposite effect to the one they wanted.

Wormholes around black holes are cool though, and theoretically possible but a
lot of arguing goes on about what you could actually do with them, time travel
is allegedly possible as long as you aren't expecting to go back further than
the age of the wormhole. Hawking claims that entering the wormhole would cause
it to collapse in the usual quantum interference way, but others think you
could hold it open with the right technology. The tricky bit is finding a
spinning black hole in the first place and getting close enough to find a
wormhole without getting stretched to oblivion.

I'm tempted to see what they make of that concept.

I am still fairly positive about the movie, although I can definitely see all
the things this reviewer bitches about, and even agree with them, at least
partly. Especially the "unbelievable women characters" bits.

But I pass it along for its first line. You just gotta love a review that
starts, "In space, no one can hear you facepalm." That would make me want to
see the movie, if I hadn't already.   :-)

The 7 biggest
problems with “Interstellar”

The 7 biggest problems with “Interstellar”
Christopher Nolan still doesn't know how to write adult women, and Hans Zimmer
is a monster who must be stopped
View on www.salon.com Preview by
Yahoo