What needs to be done in meditation research is to test with different mantras. You won't be able to do that with TM since it has a limited set of mantras. The researchers need to understand how mantras work to begin with. Simply put, most all mantras fall into either yin or yang to use the Chinese terminology. Goddess mantras mostly cool you down while Shiva mantras are used to heat you up. This is spelled out in ayurveda if you observe the mantras given to cool pitta and the ones to heat kapha. It's not all that complicated but the researchers are just looking at it very wrong.

We like to think our researchers are brilliant people and they are mostly but they are also very compartmentalized. I'm not even sure if they understand that some of pharmaceutical medications may be doing the same thing but just with tons of side effects.