Ann,

 You've got a point.  That's probably why polygamy is not legal in the US.  But
the country's mores are changing quickly given the fact that gay marriage is
now acceptable and legal.  We'll just have to wait and see what else is next.

 It may be legal in the country where you live.  But it's still technically
illegal to practice polygamy in the USA.  From what I understand, there are
parts of Utah where the authorities do not enforce the law even though they
know the people who are living in a polygamous household.

 These  assholes who own multiple wives in these fundamentalist communities
should be kicked in the nuts. I have no patience for these guys. They're all
high and mighty religious and holier than thou and at the same time lording it
over the barefoot and pregnant.

 Why do you associate polygamy with "multiple wives?" The actual definition of
the word is a marriage with multiple partners. Why not multiple husbands for
one wife, or just multiple partners, period?

 As for "challenging the prohibition," you're still stuck in American Puritan
mode. Polyamorous marriage is practiced (and legal) in many countries
currently.