Mike,

All the Mormons I've met were very nice people.  However, none of them was
living in a polygamous household.

 From what I understand, a Mormon who is married in this life stays married to
his or her spouse(s) in the afterlife, contrary to the common Christian idea
that marriage is only good in this lifetime.

 There's also the idea that Mormon married people can populate their own
planets in the cosmos with their children and descendants in the afterlife.
Believe it or not.

 A co-worker friend of mine lived in Utah at one time. He said it was normal
for Mormon elders to approach a successful man and insist he take a second or
third wife, whatever he could afford. Supposedly it kept young ladies out of
*trouble* and off welfare. The women had children and a man to support them. As
for  women having multiple husbands, up until recently, the question would
arise, who da baby daddy? Now we have Maury and DNA testing.

 From: "jr_esq@... [FairfieldLife]" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
 To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 6:10 PM
 Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] LDS Joseph Smith had 40 Wives

   It may be legal in the country where you live.  But it's still technically
illegal to practice polygamy in the USA.  From what I understand, there are
parts of Utah where the authorities do not enforce the law even though they
know the people who are living in a polygamous household.

 Why do you associate polygamy with "multiple wives?" The actual definition of
the word is a marriage with multiple partners. Why not multiple husbands for
one wife, or just multiple partners, period?

 As for "challenging the prohibition," you're still stuck in American Puritan
mode. Polyamorous marriage is practiced (and legal) in many countries
currently.