 Absolutely Awoelflebater has a point,

 Yep I am fine with marriage being reserved (licensed) for describing the
raising of offspring by adults. ..for the purpose of.. Then, Civil unions for
various combinations of everything else. Clearly in the cases of early
Mormonist plural wives it was patriarchal sexual abuse flat out coming from the
top guy down.

 I have been at recent conferences listening to these papers delivered by the
scholars who have read through the early Mormon archival writings. It is
eye-opening explosive stuff way more than just some smoking guns. This Smith
guy was a narcissistic schizophrenic nut straight out.

  If you would like some insight as to context in to the mind of what was going
on with the golden tablets, hieroglyphs, and conversations with angels then
revisit the movie, A Beautiful Mind
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Beautiful_Mind_(film
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Beautiful_Mind_(film)

 A lot more is known now about states of Mental Health than was known then in
the 19th Century.
 Jai Guru Dev, -Buck

 jr_esq@...> wrote :

 Ann,

 You've got a point.  That's probably why polygamy is not legal in the US.  But
the country's mores are changing quickly given the fact that gay marriage is
now acceptable and legal.  We'll just have to wait and see what else is next.

 There are only 16 States that currently allow for gay marriage. We are a long
way from all 50 States accepting this. We are even longer from the legalization
of multiple marriages. In fact, I would say that will never, ever happen nor do
I think it should. If you want multiple partners, don't get married.

 It may be legal in the country where you live.  But it's still technically
illegal to practice polygamy in the USA.  From what I understand, there are
parts of Utah where the authorities do not enforce the law even though they
know the people who are living in a polygamous household.

 These  assholes who own multiple wives in these fundamentalist communities
should be kicked in the nuts. I have no patience for these guys. They're all
high and mighty religious and holier than thou and at the same time lording it
over the barefoot and pregnant.

 Why do you associate polygamy with "multiple wives?" The actual definition of
the word is a marriage with multiple partners. Why not multiple husbands for
one wife, or just multiple partners, period?

 As for "challenging the prohibition," you're still stuck in American Puritan
mode. Polyamorous marriage is practiced (and legal) in many countries
currently.