 From: "dhamiltony...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 10:30 PM
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] LDS Joseph Smith had 40 Wives

Om, These
recent Joseph Smith and his 40 wives articles surfacing in the
popular press were incredibly shoddy at referencing the actual
scholarly work behind their journalism that their articles were
written on and edited off of.  Like, really bad professional
journalism.   Damned yellow as a matter of fact.  The primary sources
are way better than these Huffington articles themselve that some these hack
journalists and their editors are going to gain credit for themselves at
the surface of google subject searches.   'nother ethical example sort of like
the Chicken Soup people propelling their own marketing.
These Huffington writers and editors are meditators too?
-Buck

Absolutely Awoelflebater has a point,

Yep
I am fine with marriage being reserved (licensed) for
describing the raising of offspring by adults. ..for the purpose of..
Then, Civil unions for various combinations of everything
else.  Clearly in the cases of early Mormonist plural wives it was
patriarchal sexual abuse flat out coming from the top guy down.

I have been
at recent conferences listening to these papers delivered by the
scholars who have read through the early Mormon archival writings.
It is eye-opening explosive stuff way more than just some smoking
guns.    This Smith guy was a narcissistic schizophrenic nut straight
out.

 If you would like some insight as to context in to the mind of
what was going on with the golden tablets, hieroglyphs, and
conversations with angels then revisit the movie, A Beautiful
Mind http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Beautiful_Mind_(film)
lot more is known now about states of Mental Health than was known
then in the 19th Century.
Jai Guru Dev, -Buck

jr_esq@...> wrote :

Ann,

You've got a point.  That's probably why polygamy is not legal in the US.  But
the country's mores are changing quickly given the fact that gay marriage is
now acceptable and legal.  We'll just have to wait and see what else is next.

There are only 16 States that currently allow for gay marriage. We are a long
way from all 50 States accepting this. We are even longer from the legalization
of multiple marriages. In fact, I would say that will never, ever happen nor do
I think it should. If you want multiple partners, don't get married.

It may be legal in the country where you live.  But it's still technically
illegal to practice polygamy in the USA.  From what I understand, there are
parts of Utah where the authorities do not enforce the law even though they
know the people who are living in a polygamous household.

These  assholes who own multiple wives in these fundamentalist communities
should be kicked in the nuts. I have no patience for these guys. They're all
high and mighty religious and holier than thou and at the same time lording it
over the barefoot and pregnant.

Why do you associate polygamy with "multiple wives?" The actual definition of
the word is a marriage with multiple partners. Why not multiple husbands for
one wife, or just multiple partners, period?

As for "challenging the prohibition," you're still stuck in
American Puritan mode. Polyamorous marriage is practiced (and legal) in many
countries currently.