On 11/12/2014 9:47 PM, Michael Jackson wrote:

You know damn good and well the Huff post people are TM'ers - they have set themselves up as the TM rag of the media. And the shoddy journalism

/Not too shoddy for the resident "science writer-reporter" to post articles from. Go figure./

evidenced in these Joe Smith articles are not any worse than the shoddy "science" behind TM or the equally crummy grasping at straws to make all things TM seem good.

/Non sequitur./

Not to mention the ridiculous article the Movement put out alleging that criminal Prime Minister Modi was an avid TM'er. Although from his criminal behavior, I would say he probably is.

/Non sequitur.

/>

*From:* "dhamiltony...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
*To:* FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
*Sent:* Wednesday, November 12, 2014 10:30 PM
*Subject:* Re: [FairfieldLife] LDS Joseph Smith had 40 Wives

Om, These recent Joseph Smith and his 40 wives articles surfacing in the popular press were incredibly shoddy at referencing the actual scholarly work behind their journalism that their articles were written on and edited off of. Like, really bad professional journalism. Damned yellow as a matter of fact. The primary sources are way better than these Huffington articles themselve that some these hack journalists and their editors are going to gain credit for themselves at the surface of google subject searches. 'nother ethical example sort of like the Chicken Soup people propelling their own marketing. These Huffington writers and editors are meditators too?
-Buck

Absolutely Awoelflebater has a point,

Yep I am fine with /marriage/ being reserved (licensed) for describing the raising of offspring by adults. ..for the purpose of.. Then, /Civil unions/ for various combinations of everything else. Clearly in the cases of early Mormonist plural wives it was patriarchal sexual abuse flat out coming from the top guy down.

I have been at recent conferences listening to these papers delivered by the scholars who have read through the early Mormon archival writings. It is eye-opening explosive stuff way more than just some smoking guns. This Smith guy was a narcissistic schizophrenic nut straight out.

If you would like some insight as to context in to the mind of what was going on with the golden tablets, hieroglyphs, and conversations with angels then revisit the movie, /A Beautiful Mind/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Beautiful_Mind_(film <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Beautiful_Mind_%28film>) A lot more is known now about states of Mental Health than was known then in the 19^th Century.
Jai Guru Dev, -Buck

jr_esq@...> wrote :

Ann,

You've got a point. That's probably why polygamy is not legal in the US. But the country's mores are changing quickly given the fact that gay marriage is now acceptable and legal. We'll just have to wait and see what else is next.

There are only 16 States that currently allow for gay marriage. We are a long way from all 50 States accepting this. We are even longer from the legalization of multiple marriages. In fact, I would say that will never, ever happen nor do I think it should. If you want multiple partners, don't get married.

It may be legal in the country where you live. But it's still technically illegal to practice polygamy in the USA. From what I understand, there are parts of Utah where the authorities do not enforce the law even though they know the people who are living in a polygamous household.

These assholes who own multiple wives in these fundamentalist communities should be kicked in the nuts. I have no patience for these guys. They're all high and mighty religious and holier than thou and at the same time lording it over the barefoot and pregnant.

Why do you associate polygamy with "multiple wives?" The actual definition of the word is a marriage with multiple partners. Why not multiple husbands for one wife, or just multiple partners, period?

As for "challenging the prohibition," you're still stuck in American Puritan mode. Polyamorous marriage is practiced (and legal) in many countries currently.