 From: salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>

 Share,

 Here is the sound.  Can anyone figure it out?

 Apparently if you play it backwards you can faintly hear the words "Do not
land, or we will be forced to destroy your puny planet". Whatever that might
mean....

What I can't understand is someone so addicted to New Age garbage and
weak-minded thinking that, faced with two of the greatest achievements in the
history of man (the Mars lander and this comet lander), they're looking for
something more Woo Woo to focus and obsess on.

People like JohnR and Nabby just leave me astonished. What *happened* to them
that makes them think (or, more accurately, NOT think) the way they do? You
would think that they'd be *embarrassed* to show people the ways that their
minds work (or fail to), but they actually seem to be proud of it.

I think I get where it comes from, I briefly suffered from this need to make
more out of the world than there is when I was a kid and was exploring the
world outside of me seriously for the first time. I remember it as being like
discovering secret knowledge that the stuffy establishment were too blind to
see, or something that linked in more with the sci-fi I loved than the BBC
documentaries provided.

 We could call it "Erich Von Daniken syndrome", because it was his books I
found in the library that really made me wonder about these alleged esoteric
truths. It had to be true or they wouldn't publish it, right? But he did travel
to amazing places and got me hooked on the ancient world even though everything
he said was total nonsense, as I found out from learning how proper
archaeologists go about their work.

 Crop circles did me a big favour too because it was photo on the front of the
Fortean Times magazine that made me buy it and that's what started a somewhat
more realistic approach because they would actually look at weird things
objectively to see if they were true.

 This Examiner website does John no favours, they don't seem to have any brake
on finding things out before they leap to the fantastical as they have no
scientific way of evaluating and grading quality of evidence. I think it spoils
the sense of wonder and that's a shame.

JohnR and Nabby are perpetual VICTIMS to sites like the Examiner or YouTube
because they *cater* to people like them -- guys who have never had anything
going for them but who are desperate to be perceived as being "special" or
"knowing things" that others do not. It's like these sites they repost articles
from have a big, blinking neon sign that only losers can see that says, in big
invisible letters: "NEED SOMETHING TO MAKE YOU FEEL MORE SELF-IMPORTANT? READ
THIS. SHARE IT WITH YOUR FRIENDS."

Also, one of the things I've noticed in non-FFL, non-TM former friends of mine
who have gone all Newage (rhymes with sewage) and WooWoo themselves is that
they tend to only talk to people like themselves. That is, those whose minds
are so weak that they'd actually be *impressed* by the kinds of things they
post. They repost articles claiming that the guvmint knows that aliens exist
and are hiding the truth about it because they're used to getting replies from
idiots like themselves who say, "Oh...YOU know the truth about this, too? Good
for you. Aren't we so SPECIAL? Aren't we so much BETTER than those who don't
know this stuff?"

What they don't seem to realize is that their more sensible friends stopped
reading what they post and stopped replying to them years ago. The only
"followers" they have left on FB or wherever are people who are just as whacked
out as they are.

I had to give up with FB sites like "Mind unleashed" or "the open mind" because
they post such absolute drivel on a daily basis that I felt duty bound to try
and stem the tide with a bit of reasoned argument. Trouble was everyone else
who subscribed to them tried to correct me and every time I logged on I'd have
to clear 20,000 posts from indignant True Believers "how do you know atlantis
didn't rise again in the year 2000? They might have hushed it up" etc

 One of the promises of the internet was the democratisation of knowledge, but
without an editor any site can be seen as being of equal value to good ones.
Couple that with the willingness to believe and it's a recipe for disaster.
There's probably millions going around believing that reincarnation is true,
people are telepathic, quantum physics has proved the world is an illusion, and
that's just from this mornings!

 But what's annoying is that it's often based on decent research that's been
twisted to increase the woo woo. I wish someone had thought to do a study on
the prevalence of magical thinking both before and after the invention of the
web. It might be interesting to see how bad ideas propagate. But then maybe
they'll have the same effect as Erich Von Daniken had on me and they'll get
more into things and find out where the space cadet crowd went wrong. I live on
optimism!

              • ... salyavin808
            • ... jr_...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
              • ... jr_...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]