They tend to come up to you and say "I'm an Indian holy man" and hold out their begging can or up. Figured that being a westerner we would fall for it but the tour had warned about giving them anything. Besides I might have taken them up on "being an holy man" and paid them if they first did something to prove it. :-D

OTOH, Indian academics and pundits were happy to host us and not charge anything for it. They were just pleased to have westerners who were interested.