> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, off_world_beings
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, off_world_beings
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > > Sorry folks, just slipped out.
> > > Hope the ass-ended masters have as warped a sense of humor as
me.

> > I guess English might perhaps have more (spoken) homonyms than
> > many other languages (see, sea, c, etc)...
>
> Nyah, plenty of languages have more, I think.
>
> Consider the number of ways the particle (word ending) "to"
> (pronounced "toe") can be used in Japanese.

I'm not sure if that's a homonym, in case it's considered
the "same" particle with several different uses. In my opinion,
homonymity(?) presupposes that the words are of different origin,
but during the development of a language they have, by chance, become
similar, in English often only in pronunciation, due to the rather
antiquated spelling. (But perhaps only words that are spelled in the
same manner, are considered homonyms in English??). In Finnish
an interesting(?) example of a homonym is the word "kuusi"
which means both the number 6, and "spruce". That they are
etymologically different words is shown by their inflected
forms sounding different from each other, for instance
the possessive "kuuden" (of six), but "kuusen" (spruce's).

> For standard words, there's "hana" for "nose" and "hana"
> for "flower." Some words have a different tonal value, but many do
> not.
>
> And lets not forget Chinese...

Well, I think Chinese might have lots of *written*
homonyms (hmm...), but strictly speaking, as melodic
accent is, I believe, a so called suprasegmental phoneme
in Chinese, for instance the variations of the word 'ma'
pronounced with four(?) different melodic accents
are not homonyms, because the variation in melodic accent
is accompanied by difference in meaning, which in turn
means that the difference is equivalent to the difference
in English between, say, 'key' and 'pee', or 'will' and 'well',
that form so called minimal pairs, which in turn is a proof
that , in this case, 'k' and 'p' are different phonemes as well
as 'i' and 'e', as are the different melodic accents in
Chinese....phew!  :)