Jesus, what a list of all things you're "not going to do"

 does it ever end?

 Sorry, damned computer sent this before I was finished. More below, in this
font...

 From: "TurquoiseBee turquoiseb@... [FairfieldLife]"
<FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
 To: "FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
 Sent: Saturday, November 15, 2014 11:27 PM
 Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: Okay, let's put it on the table: UFOs

 I can understand Salyavin's or anyone else's interest in the subject as -- as
he said -- folklore, or just modern-day ghost stories to pass the time around
the campfire, but it really doesn't do anything for me.

 As I said earlier, aliens landing isn't going to affect me one way or another
unless 1) they land in force and nuke the planet (that'd affect me), or 2) have
some nifty technology that trickles down to affect me. But other than that,
what's the big thrill?

 It's not as if I'm going to go ask any of these little green men to explain
the "secrets of the universe" to me. I don't do that with little pink human men
(because I don't think any of them know any secrets), and I'm not about to do
it with Space Brothers. That's more along Nabby's line...he gushes over anyone
who tells him he knows more than he does, so he would do the same thing if the
being talking to him was a puddle of slime from Neptune. :-)

 For me, it would be the same issue if God suddenly announced Himself and made
Himself obvious. I'd go "Ho-hum" and go on about my life. What's to change? I
*ALREADY* live according to my principles; I'm certainly not going to change
any of them because of something some God might say. And I'm certainly not
going to praise or revere a being I consider a sadistic thug (what else can you
possibly call the being who thought up Ebola?). So I'd just live my life pretty
much the way I live it now, with no change one way or another.

In general, I think that people use the idea of aliens to distract themselves
from the here and now, and put themselves into "What if" mode. That's almost by
definition a state of unreality, something to put off dealing with "What is."