 I'm sure horses can tell a novice at first glance. You can almost sense their
sneer. My only goes at horse-riding were as an adolescent and the horses always
completely ignored my requests and goads. If a horse I was on wanted to stop
and munch away at a hedge then that was what it would do. My instructor would
have to come to my aid to get the damned beast (sorry - charming animal) keep
up with the rest of the riders.

 Horses are also damned scary - they're a lot bigger than you imagine when you
watch a cowboy movie and don't suffer fools gladly. Still, astonishingly
beautiful and graceful creatures for all that.

 On a side issue: as race-horse jockeys are specifically chosen because they
weigh so little why aren't women (or even girl) riders preferred over men for
events where serious amounts of money are changing hands?

 Well, it is a man's world out there in the racing circles and you have to
carry a certain amount of weight depending upon how the horse is handicapped so
the lighter is not the better, you just don't want to weigh more than the horse
is slotted to carry, obviously. Women have had a hard time breaking into the
bigger more well-known races and tracks although there have been some wonderful
women jockeys and they can definitely ride as well as men. You'll see a much
more equal distribution of women to men in all the other riding disciplines
except bronco busting and bull riding. Women are simply too smart to do that.

 From your recent posts I get the strong impression you prefer animals to
humans! Is that (understandably) a correct impression?

 Yes, generally if I have to choose between spending an afternoon with a few
dogs or horses or spending it with a bunch of people I would say it would be
the former. I also prefer long solitary walks in the forest to tripping down to
my local mall. But it really depends. I spend enough time here at FFL and there
seems to be people (of sorts) here!

      • [FairfieldLi... steve.sun...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
        • [Fairfie... curtisdeltabl...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
          • Re: ... Michael Jackson mjackso...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]