Thanks Ann. I found what you wrote and this article equally fascinating and
helpful.

From what you wrote I was struck by how your comments were shaped by your
working relationship with horses. They are not your cuddle toys, you do shit
together! Intricate split second, had-better-be-in-synch shit. It reminded me
of how differently you get to know people when you work with them rather than
socially. All sorts of stuff comes out you would never see out of that context.
I admire your life choice of living with horses, the constant and consistent
work that must be necessary for such a relationship to happen. Like people who
work with working dogs, sled dogs or herding border collies, you have entered
into a special relationship most of us don't know much about. I have friends
who do a trick dog show and their daily dedication is unreal to me. (As is
their ability to travel to shows with over a dozen dogs in a camper!)

From the article I was struck with the discussion of how quickly they react to
fear and the connection to autism in humans. I work with some of these kids and
the skittishness can be spooky. But it made me think that perhaps his is also
why horses are so great to work with. Not because you have gotten beyond the
fear, although I'm sure emotionally that is charming, but because they ARE so
quickly reactive to stimulus. It must sharpen your senses to a peak to keep up.
I have read about how they pay so much attention to the environment that
something different on a familiar trail can freak them out. What a way to have
to see the world to anticipate issues. Do you scan the riding environment with
this kind of focus? Detecting if something different in the ring will panic
them?

So if you are on the back of a huge creature (you do dressage right?) and you
are moving through intricate sequences of movement, your mind has to match the
instant flickers of their shorter circuit wiring. It must be Zen as hell
mentally. It must push every other thing out of your awareness, which I believe
is the kind of flow state humans seek through many means.

Anything more you care to say on this topic would be welcome and I'm sure I am
not the only one who would enjoy it.

 I just found this and thought you could give it a skim. It answers your
question probably better than I did.
 http://horseandrider.com/article/whats-your-horse-thinking-13295
http://horseandrider.com/article/whats-your-horse-thinking-13295