What has it meant? Culturally this sanctioning of blindness has allowed some
really bad ethical behavior to go unchecked. In the marketplace TM it seems is
well known for things not being right around money, sex and power. “Never
entertain negativity” is a root of silence in its culture which has allowed,
coerced, and condoned some really poor and even appalling ethical standards in
a group of people. That would be my observation. It is said that change comes
from within. There evidently is a lot of movement going on right now in the new
TM Movement. I can see a hope for a better TM movement in process, like in
changing or even getting rid of this ethos as an administrative policy tool.
 -Buck in the Dome

 FW: A Cultural Survey..

 "Never entertain negativity".
Would you be so kind as to give us your understanding of what this phrase has
meant to you and how your understanding has impacted your life. And if you wish
to ask someone else their view on this phrase and submit it with yours, that
would be great.

 Dear friends,
..on a committee, the Shifting Cultural Attitudes Subcommittee for the Mental
Health Alliance here in Fairfield I am working with a sub group of that
committee, the Cultural Committee, on one particular area right now. Which is
to understand the meaning of phrases that have become a part of our local
culture here. There are phrases which mean many things to many here. Some of
these meanings may have lead to an erosion in mental health.
 I have written this group as a smattering of a cross-culture living here to
get your understanding of the phrase, "Never entertain negativity".
Would you be so kind as to give us your understanding of what this phrase has
meant to you and how your understanding has impacted your life. And if you wish
to ask someone else their view on this phrase and submit it with yours, that
would be great.
Thank you,

 # #

 The 1980 Pledge.
  Things in TM did seem to change from about then to become some lot about some
theocratic sense of fealty and a lot less as to merit and performance. Is
noteworthy that the Saha Nav hymn was extracted up to become a normative
organizational code of conduct in an oath then (1980).

 C: The context is his teachers who were bitching about each other. Maharishi
wants them to get back to work pitching his product and STFU about their
personality problems with each other.

 Quote from Upanishads, which was used in Vedic Atom Pledge (1980)

Let us be together,
Let us eat together,
Let us be vital together,
Let us be radiating truth, radiating the light of life,
Never shall we denounce anyone, never entertain negativity.

 Culture:  Never shall we denounce anyone, never entertain negativity.

 Such that within the culture of TM the TM negativity policy like with the TM
Saha Nav Hymn for instance, if someone commits a larceny within an element of
the organization then by the teachings it would be entertaining negativity to
administratively examine that action in another person or within such element
of an organization by others. Or let us say hypothetically that someone commits
some abusive harassment within an organizational element using some position of
power over someone it would be committing a negativity to raise or consider
that situation for the negativity that it should engage. Organizationally it
would might even be communally better from a spiritual energetic standpoint as
to negativity than having to denounce anyone thence to extend this teaching and
hence better to remove the complaining negativity from an element organization;
could be solved by simply removing complainant who got exploited, packing their
bags, and thus alleviate the possibility of widely entertaining such negativity
altogether in the group. Never do we entertain negativity and never do we
denounce anyone. Hamstrung?  Proly was often best to not say anything living
within the culture.  Dare anyone call a spade a spade in TM?
 -Buck

 # #

 “..speaking ill and thinking ill of someone, dwelling on the weaknesses of
someone, all their bad qualities come to your heart; [this way] you get your
heart and mind spoiled.

So when through meditation, purity is growing in life, we don't invite this mud
from outside to make us impure anymore. We have to be cautious against our
thoughts that we don't think ill of anyone, and we don't do ill to anyone
naturally.

Speaking ill of others is a very bad.... We say it makes the cloth dirty, makes
the whole personality very dirty and impure. That we have to guard against in
our dealings and feelings with people. Very important; very, very important.
It is as important as daily practice of meditation.”

 So evidently spiritually speaking what Maharishi is saying here is that if one
entertains a negativity then one commits a negativity on the subtle. One may
even take on the energetics in the subtle. Negativity in form then it seems is
like an entity lodging in the system spiritually. Like a stress snag, an
entity, like some would call a thought-form, energetically stuck in the fabric
of the subtle system. There is proly some truth to that. -Buck

 Maharishi on Negativity:

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <dickmays@...> wrote :

 Maharishi on Not Speaking Ill of Others

Don't Speak Ill, Remain Pure, 1964

Everyone has to discharge one's duty towards himself and towards spreading of
this meditation in whatever capacity one can. And never undermine any other's
attempt or desires in whatever humble way it may be.

One thing of very great importance: that now when you have been meditating for
some time, purity has grown in life quite a lot. As the mind gains more and
more of the Being, mind becomes more and more pure.

But one thing which you have to be very cautious about is that you don't think
evil of anyone, don't speak ill of anyone. Otherwise speaking ill and thinking
ill of someone, dwelling on the weaknesses of someone, all their bad qualities
come to your heart; [this way] you get your heart and mind spoiled.

So when through meditation, purity is growing in life, we don't invite this mud
from outside to make us impure anymore. We have to be cautious against our
thoughts that we don't think ill of anyone, and we don't do ill to anyone
naturally.

Speaking ill of others is a very bad.... We say it makes the cloth dirty, makes
the whole personality very dirty and impure. That we have to guard against in
our dealings and feelings with people. Very important; very, very important.
It is as important as daily practice of meditation.

In the olden days in India, there was a practice that if some man did some
great sin, then the way to repent it was that he would cover his body with a
cloth like that and will go to any village. Standing out of the village, he
would shout out: my name is such and such, and I come from that village, and I
happened to be doing like that and like that and like that. He would just
announce it and go ahead, and keep on announcing from village to village.

And the effect was: all the people who heard him, if in their evening meetings
with their fellow men, they talk about that, then the contention is that they
partake of his sin and after some time he becomes pure. Just by talking about
the sinner, the people who talk about him share his sin.

This is very dangerous. Someone has done something wrong and if we dwell on
that and talk it over with someone, we have been affected by that sin and we
spread that sin; we partake of his sin and take it upon us.

Anyone who has done any mistake there or there or there, we just don't speak of
it.  Otherwise we will only be shrouding ourselves with the sins of others.
Very important, especially now when through this Transcendental Meditation we
are making ourselves more and more full with Being, means more and more full
with purity, then we have to guard against this thing which is very dangerous.

No one thinks that if I am talking ill of someone, then no one thinks that I am
taking over his sin. It is a common practice in the world to simply talk
something wrong done by others. It is just very harmful for us.

Question (inaudible, about newspaper writers?)

They do a great service as far as amending of the wrong is concerned, but as
far as partaking of his sin is concerned, they do partake. They help the sinner
by spreading the news about him and everybody talks about him, and then all of
them partake of the sins. As far as partaking of the sin is concerned, that is
helpful for the sinner.

In Bhagavad Gita, Lord Krishna said to Arjuna at one point [Gita 9:1, see
below] that I am giving you this most secret wisdom because, one condition out
of many that He said was, that you never speak ill of others (anasuya). That is
you don't speak ill of others, for this quality in you I think you deserve this
wisdom, so I give this wisdom to you. Just this quality of not speaking ill of
others.

Out of my own experience, I tell you, in the ashram of my Guru Dev, there were
100s of people, all good disciples. And everyone after all is a human being. No
aspirant is ever perfect. They come to the feet of the master for that
perfection. So everyone has his own failing there and there and there. I had my
own failings, I never knew what were they, but must be because no human is ever
perfect.

One thing I was famous about is that I will not speak ill of anyone. I would
always cherish a hope of his becoming better sooner or later. I would always
cherish a hope.

If someone says: that man has done like that and such a bad man. [I would say:]
“Now that he is in the ashram he will improve.” Always I cherish a hope against
all the wrongs done by all the people.

And the effect that you find today is all this world Movement to bring peace to
every man all around the world; it is a very great thing in the long history of
the world. This great force of purity and strength for spiritual regeneration
of entire mankind, no  surprise [that it] is based on the faculty of mind that
will not cherish into the wrongs of others.

Bhagavad  Gita 9:1

The Blessed Lord said:

Now I shall fully declare to you, who do not cavil, this the greatest secret,
the knowledge combined with the experience, having known which you will be
freed from evil.

Quote from Upanishads, which was used in Vedic Atom Pledge (1980)

Let us be together,
Let us eat together,
Let us be vital together,
Let us be radiating truth, radiating the light of life,
Never shall we denounce anyone, never entertain negativity.

Maharishi on the best principle in life is to find something good in others and
talk about that good

"Always we take a good attitude about a thing. Any situation we try to mean
well. In our heart, in our mind we just take a good aspect of it. Taking like
that a few times, we develop a habit of taking the best out of the thing,
taking the best out of the situation, making the best out of the situation.
Otherwise, it is very easy for us to become so critical: 'That is also not
right,' 'This is also bad,' 'No good,' 'No, no, no.' Everywhere 'no' and 'no,'
and the whole social behavior gets into a muddle.

Because if that attitude becomes a habit, then no matter what comes to us --
'That is no good' -- we will find a negative aspect and condemn it for that
instead of locating a beautiful, good, positive point and accepting it for that.
Always we look upon something due to which we can love that thing, that object,
that situation. Always. Because if someone is a bad man, at least we should
save our heart and our mind by not thinking of the evil doings of his. We will
pick up some one good point in him and then admire him for that one good point.
We don't mind the other dark side of him.

Because if we think of the dark side, we are putting the dark shadow in our
heart and mind. If someone is dark, why should we put their dark shadow in our
heart and mind by thinking about it? He has done something wrong. Why by
thinking of his wrong should we allow that wrong to occupy our heart and mind
and muddle our life?

And therefore, the best principle in life is: Find out something good in him
and talk of that good, that's all. Otherwise, it's very easy when two people
sit and talk about it, 'Look at that, that man, that, that, that.' [Audience
laughter] Without any reason we bring the bad shadows in our heart and mind.
It's lack of skill in viewing things, in commenting on things.

Always we pick up a good point. We feel good about it. If we speak, we radiate
good in the hearts of others. It's very, very necessary that particularly,
particularly with those who are dear to you, when you sit together with them
alone, always talk of some good things here and some good things there and some
good things here. Then the meeting is of a very, very valuable, beneficial
nature.

If you sit together and think of that man like that and that man like that,
[it's a] waste of life. That meeting is a waste. Never with your friends, with
your near ones, with your dear ones do we talk of something negative. Because
so many millions of things are there for us to talk [about], why focus on that
one [negative] point and unnecessarily make ourself miserable and make that man
miserable with whom we are talking?

It's very important that we inculcate a habit of looking at the good points of
others. And it's very easy to do so particularly when we are meditating and we
have more ability to forgive others."

 ~Maharishi~
 ~Squaw Valley, USA -- August 21, 1968 -- Audiotape~

 Jai Guru Dev

  • [FairfieldLife] Re: Maha... dhamiltony...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
    • [FairfieldLife] Re:... dhamiltony...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
      • [FairfieldLife]... fleetwood_macnche...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]