The sleep paralysis is an interesting explanation. I do recall, though, (30 years ago), that she heard them on the stairs first and then they came into the room, described their big black eyes, and small form. Glad I didn't wake up. She didn't talk about it afterwards, and being such a traumatic experience for her, it wouldn't have been very considerate for me to ask her about it. We were not UFO buffs at all. Weird stuff, and like you say, maddeningly, never definitive.