Even setting aside the scenario where aliens land on the White House lawn I'm
sure many people would find it deeply disturbing if we knew for sure there was
intelligent life elsewhere in the universe. I find it quite disorienting
sometimes just gazing into an animal's eyes (a dog/monkey/cow) trying to
imagine myself into its subjective "worldview". But at least animals don't have
language and so don't think in any sense corresponding to our mental life. An
advanced civilization of aliens that had an intellectual culture but in a
radically different way to us could induce in me an existential crisis that
would have me spinning off into the Void.

 Barrowd,

Please re-read and note that I used the word "if."  Having done so, I did not
need to shore up any cred for Gordon --- saved by the "if," ya see?

Meanwhile, your claim

"would not change my life in any way"

seems to be so obviously in-human that I would ask you to reconsider the
statement.

Now, I shouldn't be surprised that you said this, because you say you saw
levitation, and frankly, I would equate "levitating" to "alien landing" in how
strongly human-mindset-impacting either would be if the world was given all the
proofs necessary to KNOW instead of believe.  And there you are saying you saw
it and, so I guess, you're saying that that experience didn't do "all that much
of anything" to you, so probably aliens wouldn't change your world either.

Have I got your reasoning here?  Something like that?

Did you actually KNOW that levitation was taking place, or did you say,
"There's a 1% chance this is some sort of staged illusion."  Even the slightest
doubt would be -- to me -- why levitation didn't shake your world at the time.
If there were zero doubts and yet still your world was not rocked, then, okay,
I got no explanation for why your nervous system didn't "act normally."

But here's what I think REAL HUMANS would do if aliens landed:

1.  Obsess.  Think how easily great hunks of various populations can be shifted
into a mindset.  1/3 of America was roused by the word "ebola" enough to have,
say, dozens of thoughts per day about what it meant to their lives.  And the
other 2/3rds who were immune to the mental stampede yet still had to have had
thoughts about ebola's characteristics just in order to be on top of the issue.

See?  If aliens land on the White House lawn, are you kidding me, Barry?  The
sheer amount of media tonnage would make you, force you, absolutely cram you
with everyone's opinions about the event.  There is zero way your nervous
system could avoid the prongs, the triggerings and conclusions of everyone
else, and perforce, you'd be a victim of a flood of thoughts about the aliens.
And "flood of thoughts" means IT CHANGES YOU.  No way you could avoid, say,
having a thought about aliens EVERY FIVE MINUTES.  It would be the first issue
of everyone upon awakening in the morning.

2.  Question.  There'd be no human agenda that was not obviously impacted.
From wars all the way down to do-I-ask-her-to-marry-me would be revised in
light of a landing.  If aliens land, I don't ask if I should marry, I ask if
there will be a world tomorrow in which one might then marry.  If aliens lands,
I don't just keep bombing another county without asking, "Hmm, do the aliens
have tech that could stomp us and what would they think about our warfare?"

And so forth for all agendas.  Some agendas especially, but all agendas at
least to some degree.

3.  Doubt.  Virtually every value would be re-examined in light of the landing.
 Am I my brother's keeper?  Does God exist?  What's the meaning of life? -- all
these issues are now followed by "What do the aliens have to say about this?"

4.  Turmoil.  It would be hard to underestimate the amount of carnage that
would happen almost instantly given the present cultures on Earth.  Every
leader's status would now be needing an "aliens" statement, and  with 1/3 of
every population having a religious addiction, there's going to be throngs
outside of every leader's office clamoring for decisions that favor their
interpretations of the aliens, and if there's dissonance, there will be blood.
"If you say aliens don't worship Allah, I keel you."   "If aliens are okay with
homos, kill the aliens." "Should I go to work today at the
nuke-bomb-making-plant?"   Etc.

5.  Crazy shit.  There would be no end to the crazy shit.  Look at Nabs going
nutzoid for crop circles -- there's 1/3 of every population with similar minds
-- hair triggered and half-cocked -- ready to do every single thing imaginable
to the aliens.  From "I want to have sex with you" to whole segments arming
themselves to mass demonstrations to over-night-cults.  The crazies along would
exhaust global clarity with emotional obfuscations.

Enough?  Do I have to do more numbers to show that you have not considered an
alien landing hardly at all?

YOU WOULD BE CHANGED.  You latched onto two gurus already who were offering
panaceas, and you'd want aliens to clean up the the world too.  How can you
deny who you have been?

And you bonk everyone here for slight infractions -- that is, you're obsessed
with pointing out how falsely others are thinking about you and existence in
general -- but noooooooooooooo, you wouldn't be changed?

Bull. Fucking. Shit.

 From: salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>

 If Gordon is not crazy, then the American government is purposefully,
mindfully, ABSOLUTELY evil.

 So you're concerned that the guy who was angry for having been taken out of
the rotation for future NASA missions because he wouldn't train for them and
then found that the only way he could get any media attention at all was to
claim to have seen UFOs might have a credibility problem? Go figure. :-)

 If there are aliens visiting us and we're not being told -- it robs every
person on Earth.

EVERY PERSON ON EARTH.

 On the other hand, if all of this is just self-serving bullshit by people like
Gordo who went little crazy trying regain the attention they had for a short
time as astronauts, then why should a government add to the craziness by
dealing with their claims?

 Neither you, nor I, nor anyone ever could possibly be who we are now if we
knew that UFOs are real.

IT. WOULD. CHANGE. EVERYTHING.

 Bullshit. I can honestly say that if irrevocable proof was published 'round
the world of the existence of aliens, it would not change my life in any way.
Same if irrevocable proof of the existence of God could be found and
disseminated. Neither "event" would affect me in any way. NOTHING in my life
would change.

 I don't really understand why you think either would affect you. Seriously.
WHAT WOULD YOU CHANGE ABOUT YOUR LIFE if it turned out that aliens existed?  I
ask because I honestly can't think of anything that I would change about my
life, given proof of *either* aliens, or God.